Windows 8 Tutorials Mega-Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarg_12

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Marketing people keep pushing even after the train has already fallen into the chasm.
It's OK, M$ will come out in a couple years and lambast Windoze 8, despite pushing with all their might right now.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
love how 90 percent of the "enthusiasts" on this site are bashing windows 8 when it's just windows 7 with a couple new menus.
I bet of all the persons so gravely opposed to the new os, at least 75% of them haven't even used 8 (maybe they've seen somebody else using)
I've been using 8 alongside 7 since the RC, and 8 is as stable and efficient as 7, that's the bottom line. If somebody can't figure out how to navigate the new start menu interface and touch-oriented menu system, they're either somehow legitimately confused by mild UI changes, they're simply hating on change because they hate change (it's cool to hate) or they're sheep yelling "8 SUCKS, LONG LIVE 7" and haven't even touched a PC with 8 on it

riccollo

Honorable
May 7, 2013
@internetlad,
I tried using it for a solid month on a brand new Lenovo. Here's a news flash for you, it's a buggy piece of shit. Seriously, it's a piece of shit. Seriously.
Coming from a longtime hardcore windows user (since 3.11) using Window 8 is like trying to write a college thesis using your non-dominant hand while hanging upside down and swinging with a monsoon wind.
They took a perfectly serviceable OS and stapled a tablet interface on the top of it in order to cram the Windows store down the throats of the world. This isn't me being cynical, this is actually what happened. This is what they think of their users. Never mind usability, never mind sanity, never mind your loyal customers--we're nothing more than piggy banks that microsoft is trying to shake to get their 30% cut of every sale of software.
Or are you a troll?

riccollo

Honorable
May 7, 2013
@internetlad,
I tried using it for a solid month on a brand new Lenovo. Here's a news flash for you, it's a buggy piece of shit. Seriously, it's a piece of shit. Seriously.
Coming from a longtime hardcore windows user (since 3.11) using Window 8 is like trying to write a college thesis using your non-dominant hand while hanging upside down and swinging with a monsoon wind.
They took a perfectly serviceable OS and stapled a tablet interface on the top of it in order to cram the Windows store down the throats of the world. This isn't me being cynical, this is actually what happened. This is what they think of their users. Never mind usability, never mind sanity, never mind your loyal customers--we're nothing more than piggy banks that microsoft is trying to shake to get their 30% cut of every sale of software.
Or are you a troll?

Do you know how I know you don't know what you are talking about????

Didn't we see all these same comments before? It is amazing when websites like TH have to do MS job of helping people trying to use the worst selling and crappiest O/S know to man because MS refuses do it. That's right Kevin, I said the truth Windows 8 sucks. Why send people to a app store to fix this O/S, all that does is make MS more money for selling this horrible product, don't reward them for such a failure.

sobok27

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hey everyone people come to this site for help and advice. Win 8 is different not bad it work's just like any operating system that control's the programs or games you use right? I have it on two builds a H67/I3 and a Z77/I5. It took a week or two to figure stuff out (check out the god mode. didn't find that till later ). But now both systems are stable and fast. Only issues were software compatibility problems during first few weeks. all fixed by the software company promptly. Point is, that just saying it's just too hard and or bad is helping no one. If you have bad hardware or old software and drivers or a store bought bloatware laden machine, just fix it. Because the only thing i know for sure is Time is not going to go backwards and ten year old kid's are making us look bad. Happy Gaming all.
Oops forgot to add my thanks to all who took the time to post solutions to issues people are having.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
@internetlad
W8 is W7 with minor improvements hidden after Windows 1 GUI with integrated adware, with Microsoft saying the Windows 1 GUI with integrated adware is the future and you must forget 7.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Well, i have a netbook Acer Aspire (Intel Atom 450, 1gb ram) which came with windows7 start edition... took 3 min to "cold boot" to desktop.. another 2 min to load antivirus and applications and be able to really use it.
After some Linux distros... best one for me worked Jolicloud, i`ve decided to try the windows 8... it works flawlessly (all drivers were found on install and even the bluetooth mouse worked "out of the box")! It take only 35 seconds "cold boot"; just one downside: it need a resolution of 1024x768 for MetroUI tiles to work... and my screen was only 1024x600 (but that was easely fixed with a registry hack)... i am no fan of it either, but my 2 years old kid get used to it very fast (he still preffere the Nexus7 for touch experience, but when that is unavailable he manage to start youtoube to watch his favorite cartoons or to start some games for his age which i found free in store)!
Bottom line: give it a spin then decide if you like it or not... i personaly rarely use the start button, and i am not incomodated in any way because instead of that button i get a screen full of tiles!

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Well, i have a netbook Acer Aspire (Intel Atom 450, 1gb ram) which came with windows7 start edition... took 3 min to "cold boot" to desktop.. another 2 min to load antivirus and applications and be able to really use it.
After some Linux distros... best one for me worked Jolicloud, i`ve decided to try the windows 8... it works flawlessly (all drivers were found on install and even the bluetooth mouse worked "out of the box")! It take only 35 seconds "cold boot"; just one downside: it need a resolution of 1024x768 for MetroUI tiles to work... and my screen was only 1024x600 (but that was easely fixed with a registry hack)... i am no fan of it either, but my 2 years old kid get used to it very fast (he still preffere the Nexus7 for touch experience, but when that is unavailable he manage to start youtoube to watch his favorite cartoons or to start some games for his age which i found free in store)!
Bottom line: give it a spin then decide if you like it or not... i personaly rarely use the start button, and i am not incomodated in any way because instead of that button i get a screen full of tiles!

osirisgothra

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Here, read this and you wont need to worry about 8 anymore, i cant believe people are still using this pile of crap... i can understand everyone is being forced into it, whether they want to believe that or not, I posted the most obvious reasons in this article I wrote a while back -- http://cowsthatgomoo.blogspot.com/2013/03/windows-8-worst-of-worst.html -- and I stand by that. I'm embarrased to even say I have ever purchased a microsoft product -- I'm sitting here scraping off all the seals of authenticity right now... *scrape* *scrape* (blow) *scrape* *scrape* (blow)... speaking of which, that's pretty much what Windows has done since MCE....

Status
Not open for further replies.