Windows 8 will not install on my SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tumber77

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I just bought the Sandisk Extreme SSD @ 240gb, and when I go to install my Windows 8 on it, it says that Windows 8 cannot install on this drive, and then says something about GPT mode, any suggestions?

Gremlins. Invisible little nitters are messing with your drive.

In seriousness, there's one thing that's always true: computers can be the pickiest, most finicky things on earth when things aren't just right. Either there is a bad component here which will eventually show itself clearly or there was some little thing messing up what should have been a smooth process (since I can see nothing you obviously did wrong anywhere, and no compatibility issues either).

Either way, hope for the best. Let us know if it goes through!

I see nothing wrong with what you're doing; assuming all parts are in working order you shouldn't have had anything close to the amount of problems here. Sadly I have to go back to suspecting the SSD. There don't seem to be any programs made to test SSDs for faults so I can't point to any particular tests. If the SSD can be RMA'd, see if you can get a replacement.

tumber77

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Sigh, more RMAs .... the only thing is now it alsoo formatted my smaller ssd, and I lost my files.... I have like 7 RMAs I have to send...

No, the capacity shouldn't be an issue (storage drives aren't run the same way as RAM where everything is a power of 2). SSD are no different from HDD on this point

I'm not sure what the rep of SanDisk SSDs are with regard to reliability, they're not one of the bigger makers. Intel and Samsung have great reputations, and most big volume SSD makers should be pretty good.

tumber77

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I went with an OCZ vertex4, its on sale @ 159 for 256gb, intel and samsung are also VERY expensive.