Windows 8 Will Save Passwords in the Cloud

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]I guess everybody who is taunting so loudly that they are staying with Windows 7 are the same guys who have claimed to stay with Windows XP forever.[/citation]
Meaning what? That the masses tend to flock towards and stick with what works best? You phrase your sentence like it's a bad thing with reference to what I'm saying. Newer is NOT always better.

I'm the type that always un-checks the box that says "save my password". I'm not digging the cloud explosion thing and my passwords being saved within the cloud is something I'm really not fond of.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
And btw, for all those idiots who worry about the new Win8 password system, how many of you got their PayPal account or critical data on a gmail/hotmail/yahoo account? Oh you never worried about those, although they are the exactly same thing. Think about it.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I had to come here to view the comments cause i knew there would be a lot.....Windows 8 is not for me, ill stick with 7 for at least another 10 years, if i possibly can :p

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Not with me, like I'm going to do my banking and such with Windows in the first place. Sorry MS but Ubuntu or even OS X. Ubuntu needs to be careful because the newest release starting with 11.04 is very similar to OS X in functionality and works very well.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Since I don't apply in the "dumb people who forget their passwords", I hope there's an opt-out for such a feature and keep it old style.Cheers![/citation]
There are password manager programs if you trust them, I don't. Instead I prefer to have a master password list that is encrypted. Open Office can password a file or you can use a great free program called TrueCrypt to make a master list. But the file stays under your control, not some hacks in a mega corporation in bed with the FEDS.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
[citation][nom]daygall[/nom]never going beyond vista\7 then, ever, i dont care if Microsoft KILLS the os installs, im keeping them, might was well learn software engineering and go back to 98.cloud=badmicrosoft=stupidmicrosoft+cloud= failx2stupidx3[/citation]
Looking promising again for Linux, Ubuntu is for me.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
for me it's not so much that a password is stored in the cloud... but rather that all my passwords will be stored in one online location. When Sony had their password database hacked I had to change my password at a number of sited (because I was dumbly using the same password in multiple places). If this password database got hacked I'd have to change ALL my passwords... what a nightmare - I'd probably forget a couple and those of course would be the ones the bad guys found.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Without high speed upload/download the whole Cloud idea -not that it is anything new to begin with- is dead in the water. My current provider is AT&T. The upload 'speed' is a laughable 0.4Kb/s
Try moving a few pics from a 12MP camera up to the cloud with that speed !

As for trusting my Passwords to Microsoft; yeah right (/SARCASM)

finwizard

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
And what happens if Microsoft decides to charge an annual "maintenance" fee for their OS? If you don't pay, all your passwords get wiped or made inaccessable?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]And btw, for all those idiots who worry about the new Win8 password system, how many of you got their PayPal account or critical data on a gmail/hotmail/yahoo account? Oh you never worried about those, although they are the exactly same thing. Think about it.[/citation]
Those are allreadly "cloud" services, and they kinda have to put some form of your password in the "cloud". Where as my computer log in information has no business hanging out in the "clould". If they are going to support this, it should be off by default, with warning if turned on. But if I know Microsoft they will do the compleat opposite, and turn it on by default with warning about turning it off. And I do worry about my online services, that is why I try to put complex passwords on those, and have another authentication system on if supported.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I wonder how Win8 will hold up, a lot of the things being talked about it I simply won't be using or disable so far. Their faster boot ups, won't use I put my computer in stand by or hibernate instead of turning off. This thing, I won't use I memorize my passwords and use lastpass so I am set there. Their new tablet like interface sounds interesting but I be honest it's new and I always expect the first gen of something to crash and burn and the second gen to refine all the problems. Though I hope I am wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing a nice tablet like interface in Win8, would make tablets more viable for higher end portable solutions being able to run a good windows interface due to compatability with software.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I guess I read this differently than others. I would think the password via cloud would be like signing into a domain. If you are not connected to the domain, you would pass your credintials and be able to sign in with your local user account and password. Its not like laptop users etc would have to buy wireless verizon cards to be able to sign into their laptops. I am not a fan of keeping my data in the cloud, no way, but if we are talking about authenticating and I can still authenticate locally, which still has to be part of the os for mobile devices etc. Its an added feature. At some point, you will be able to go to the public library, sign on your account and have your desktop from home in front of you.

UnSignedC0d3

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
billcat479
I wish they would come out with a Win 7 patch for the new AMD 8 core cpus
It's already out.

This Cloud crap seems like its being spoonfed down everyones throats lately. No matter if its an OS or an App. I call shenanigans seems very suspect. The Dark Cloud(s) keeping tabs on sheeple.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]windows 8 is looking like another vista / ME more and more everyday... i tried the dev preview and man is the future bad ... how can you do this M$ come on.....[/citation]

Oh, bull! I have been using the Developer Preview as my main OS for a long time now (since it first came out) and it works much better than even Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium did on my main system.

True, I did disable the Metro interface (that needs a bit of work) but as a regular OS with that disabled, it works just fine.

As long as my passwords are encrypted in the cloud AND I have the ability to disable the saving of passwords for paranoia purposes, I will be just fine with my passwords being in the cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.