windows 8 won't boot

yulec

Honorable
May 12, 2013
We have an Asus 200e notebook running windows 8, which was powered down normally, and now won't reboot. Just a black screen and arrow pointer.
Occasionally I can get a little box in the top left corner saying flight mode on.
Could this be what is causing it? Don't know why it is on flight mode - it's not normally set. How do I turn this off outside windows?
The only other thing I can get is certain screen controls e.g. brightness.

Airplane mode
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-tip-use-airplane-mode
Shouldn't prevent you using Windows.
If you have access to another PC running W8, create a Windows Recovery Drive to enable you to get to the trouble shooting menu.
At Start Screen, type 'Recovery' and from Settings choose Create a Recovery Drive. You'll need a CD or USB Flash -, it requires about 250Mb...
Perhaps 'Refresh your PC' will fix your problem, once you've booted from the repair media....

yulec

Honorable
May 12, 2013

yulec

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Thanks for coming back to me.
It restarted somehow. I had tried holding down the power button which caused it to turn on briefly, then turn off again. the next time I tried to turn it on, it powered up normally (albeit slightly slowly). I'm not advocating this as a solution, but in this instance it sparked into life after 20 or so fruitless efforts.
I turned off flight mode (definitely wasn't set when last used), and then tried sleep, and then restart. Ok so far.
In the meantime I went to create a recovery disc, but it was asking for a USB drive with at least 16GB available space. (Larger than any I currently have to hand). I use portable hard drives for back ups, but want to use a clean drive for the recovery disk. Priority tomorrow. Shouldn't have put it off before!

Choose a Recovery Drive as opposed to a Disk from Settings, don't include the Recovery partition, then it only requires 250Mb and a CD will suffice... It will at least get you into Safe Mode or whatever to recover from a major problem...

Choose