Windows 8 won't install onto SSD, error code 0x8007045d

Shmid

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I tried to install Widows 8 onto my new SSD and after about an hour of being stuck at the 'Getting files ready for installation' stage, the following message pops up:

"Windows cannot install requred files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007045D." (no quotes)

I've tried formatting all of the SSD partitions, makign new partitions, installing Windows 8 into the SSD's unallocated space (it creates new partitions), basically everything I can think of concerning the SSD's partitions. I've also tried using a USB for installation. The result is always the same.

If the problem is clearly with the SSD, please let me know up front. The deadline for returning it is coming up (this Friday at the latest) and if I need to replace the SSD, I need to know ASAP.

PapaWood

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
did you get it from the internet and image it to a CD? or is this a CD you had that may be damaged? Just want to make sure the media is good, if that CD is good and works otherwise there could be an issue with that drive, it does happen sometimes unfortunately

McHenryB

Admirable
That error means there was an I/O error. Either the SSD is bad, your SATA cable is bad or your installation media is bad. As (I think) you say you have used two different install media that option seems unlikely. Try a different SATA cable and/or port for the SSD. If it still fails then I would say that the SSD is faulty.

Shmid

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

I was using my Windows 8 installation CD at first, but then, after I got the error, I tried installing using a USB and this

I've tried using multiple SATA cables and still the same result. I guess I'll return it and try a new one.

Shmid

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Replacement didn't seem to work. Tried installing using both the CD and flash drive. Tried multiple SATA cords, tried unplugging all USBs but the mouse and keyboard.

Still the same error.

NOTE: I don't know if this has anythign to do with it, but for a while now a blue screen will occasionally pop up telling me to Activate Windows. A single button will appear to the left, underneathe the text, saying "Go to PC Settings". Clicking this will take me to an Activate Windows part of the PC Settings, where I am told that "Windows can't activate right now. Try activating later. If that doesn't work, contact support."

This only happens a couple of times a day and I've never gotten around to calling support.

USAFRet

Titan

So then you call them and activate over the phone.

Shmid

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
After a few days of Googling and some inconclusive Windows support calls, I still can't activate windows. slui 4 won't load and slui 3 says my product key is invalid. When I go to fix that with slmgr.vbs, it also says my key is invalid. If that's correct, how am I able to use it to get into Windows installation?

Also, now that I think about it, that technically isn't my issue. I was just asking if Windows not being activated had anything to do with my installation errors.