Windows 9 Preview May Appear in February 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Actually, I've never really had any issues at all with Windows 8. The performance improvement is noticeable, the task manager is 'greatly' improved and with a 3rd party app like classic shell, the start menu is back. Metro feels like just an addon program afterwards.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
I've got a feeling that Windows 9 will be a cash grab - nothing new or better or more advanced over 7 or 8.1. I predict that it will be pure panic shit of money greed men from the pyramid top.

Windows 9 will be what 8 should have been. Be that good or bad remains to be seen. With 7 being a finished and polished versions of Vista, 9 should have a similar relationship to 8. However, 9 will probably walk back the massive mistakes made in 8 in the PC version.

I've used Windows 8 on all the platforms and only on the PC does it fail. My phone is great with WP8, tablets are smooth and easy to use, but on a PC, without a touch screen, it just get frustrating. I preferred the Start menu because it put everything in one easy to browse place. I don't want to change screens whenever I want to open a program, and I don't want every window at fullscreen. Nor do I want my taskbar filled with things that should be on the menu, as I don't want the clutter. I only want to see it when I need it and I don't want to have to search a screen of tiles for it.

hannibal

Distinguished
Tik, tok...
Win9 is win8 with more eye candy and most bugs killed. So a little bit better version of win8. Same as win7 was a little bit better version on Vista.
Interesting to see, if the new disk operation system is ready for win9? And does the DX12 also come to win 8.1 machines? Most probably it will, but who knows.
All is all late 2015 or early 2016 may be the first time to really think hardware upgrades. Maybe we even have 20nm GPUs out then, even better would be if second generation of 20nm GPUs are out, so that the worst mistakes has been corrected also in that front.
Interesting to see if they continue to produce new os in every 2-3 year from now on. So the win10 will be out 2017 or 2018. About the same time when win7 will be near the end of its support cycle.
I have been using win8.1 and has been very happy how well it works. Very stable and so on, but I also use Start8 and Modern mix, so I don't see Modern UI menu when I use my Tabletop PC. So this user experience should be quite the same as with win 8.1.2. I have start menu and all programs start in windowed mode. So I expect that win8.1.2 that will be out next autumn will be quite nice from normal user perspective.
The win 9 will also most likely to allow easier virtualization and other aspect that are more suitable to power users. The MS employees have said that win8 was meant to be the "easy" mode to computer usage and later there should be more power user utilities... Heh... Didn't go exactly how they expected, but as I said win8.1.2 seems to be familiar enough to also those not so computer literate persons.

Win10 was supposed to be first real cloud os for MS...Let see if they keep on to that plan...

As others have pointed out, it pretty much MUST say "Preview release @ 2015 Q2-Q3". How can you tell with the bottom missing? Look at the 0 in "2015" - see how the NUMBER is narrower than an O or Q? "O2-O3" wouldn't make sense, but "Q2-Q3" does.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
The better not expect anyone to pay for it. I find it hard to believe it could be much better than Windows 8.X in terms of performance. If they are expecting to put the Start Menu back in and charge a full upgrade fee than Microsoft is in worse trouble than I thought.

Mathew Reuther

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Microsoft tradition dictates that 9 will be the OS people want, and then they'll screw up 10. 8 was clearly NOT what desktop computers needed and they've spent the whole time since it was released trying to get people to switch.

I'll be sticking with 7 and will be cautious about seeing what 9 brings. My main concern is typically in the gaming space. Microsoft is trying to withhold features from Windows 7 and bait gamers into a Win 8.x upgrade, of course.

Hopefully they'll pull their collective heads out and design a desktop OS with Win 9.

Mathew Reuther

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

But 8 users have had the "benefit" of using such an "excellent" OS for the whole duration between 7 and 9...surely they need no more "reward" than that...

T-Bag

Reputable
May 4, 2014
Hope Microsoft don't fuck this one up. IMHO, Windows 7 was the best Operating System Microsoft have ever developed.

Trav1856

Reputable
May 20, 2014

I dunno...I think XP might disagree with you. Don't get me wrong, I *like* 7...but as far as longevity and stability....XP was quite nice...and call me crazy, but I really liked 2000 and used it for a long while after XP came out. (not for fear of new stuff, but because it was stable for its day and was really retired before its time)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Hope Microsoft don't fuck this one up. IMHO, Windows 7 was the best Operating System Microsoft have ever developed.
Funny, but a lot of people think that Chrome is better than IE, so they download it and install it themselves, then they are happy. Nobody really complains that Microsoft hasn't preinstalled it for them.

Roll forward to Windows 8, technically a more efficient, faster and more secure OS than Windows 7. All it needs is ClassicShell installed and it looks and feels exactly like Windows 7. But people will stamp their feet in rage that they have to do this and want Microsoft to have the Start Menu pre-enabled for them.

There is no difference in these 2 things, an install to get it "just right" the way you like it. Windows 8.1 is the best OS they have ever made, because it does everything Windows 7 does and much much more. Spend as much time configuring it as people do moaning about not having something and they would actually have what they wanted.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

You're completely right about the "just right" comment. Windows XP used to take nearly a full day to configure it just the way I want it; not to mention hunting down drivers,etc,etc. Windows 7 again took hours to configure it the way I want it as many of the default apps aren't good enough for my needs. Windows 8 is the same way. I find it crazy to see people who buy a machine with Windows 8 on it, wipe the OS off it and buy a copy of Windows 7. They're basically throwing away money to get a worse experience to Win8 + Classic Shell.

KarterJK

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Actually, I've never really had any issues at all with Windows 8. The performance improvement is noticeable, the task manager is 'greatly' improved and with a 3rd party app like classic shell, the start menu is back. Metro feels like just an addon program afterwards.
I will agree on version 8.0, however, 8.1 and up they started stripping things, and many of my programs failed to run,. I can only use 8 at this time, unless I buy a different WiFi.

Win10 was supposed to be first real cloud os for MS...Let see if they keep on to that plan...

I believe this was/is going to be the subscription version, much like Office 365. But, I see issues, if that were the case. I don't thing a subscription OS is a salable product.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
If Microsoft goes cloud based for their OS.... I will no longer be using Windows. I know many others who feel the same way too. It would be suicide for them IMO.

KarterJK

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Funny, but a lot of people think that Chrome is better than IE, so they download it and install it themselves, then they are happy. Nobody really complains that Microsoft hasn't preinstalled it for them.

Roll forward to Windows 8, technically a more efficient, faster and more secure OS than Windows 7. All it needs is ClassicShell installed and it looks and feels exactly like Windows 7. But people will stamp their feet in rage that they have to do this and want Microsoft to have the Start Menu pre-enabled for them.

There is no difference in these 2 things, an install to get it "just right" the way you like it. Windows 8.1 is the best OS they have ever made, because it does everything Windows 7 does and much much more. Spend as much time configuring it as people do moaning about not having something and they would actually have what they wanted.
In your opinion...

Personally, I can't even use 8.1, my WiFi fails as do several of my programs, it was also bug ridden with install problems. Windows 8.1 IMHO is a nightmare to install or re-install and update. 8.0 is better in many ways than 8.1

Windows 8.1 also stripped so many tools that I used in Windows 7. And as eye candy, the Metro screen is next to impossible to customize, ugly, ugly interface. Again, IMHO

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

So because W7 users are using what they paid for, they should suffer because of that? Glad i am moving to Linux, less uninformed people in that community. The Windows community has gone downhill..

KarterJK

Reputable
May 25, 2014
I agree, with you. It seems the Windows 8 fanbois have gone nuts. If you don't get down on your knees and praise the OS, they go on a hate rampage. Who even wants to be part of that. What I don't understand is that they used Windows 7 for years and now they act like it was the most horrid thing they had ever used along with every other OS created.

Status
Not open for further replies.