Windows 9 Preview May Arrive Later This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if windows 9 is called windows 8.2 the way microsoft keeps pushing windows 8 updates with 8.1, 8.1.1, 8.1.2 in aug 8.1.3 in march in 2015

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
This sums it up perfectly, Windows 8 is cool for tablets and small touchscreen laptops, but WIndows 7 rules the traditional desktop and laptop experience. Windows 8 is not a bad OS, but for people who want to get work done, they need a "windows 7" mode.

Johnny_C13

Honorable
May 3, 2013
" Sources claim that Windows Threshold will be a free upgrade for Windows 8.1 customers and possibly even Windows 7 Service Pack 1 customers."

Tom's was wise to finish with this sentence, cause if it didn't, it's where I would of stopped reading. I find it very unlikely that MS would give either an updated Windows 8 or possibly a new OS 9 for free to W7 users (not that my Windows 7 desktop would be complaining!).

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I just wish they would get the modern UI and desktop UI to play together better.
I expect Microsoft to come out with a monthly fee based OS some time in the future. Like $5-$10 a month for an up to date machine.

I would like for their version labels to be consistent between the marketing version and NT kernel version. Otherwise go back to the system where the name had nothing to do with the version. Such as 95, 2000, XP, &c.

Jay Stew

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
I will rage if they give win7 free upgrade. win8 user pays their OS not to be treated the same level as win7.

Just what makes you think those of us on Windows 7 will run out and buy windows 9 without real value adds anyway? After the debacle that is Windows 8 on a notebook or desktop without all the features and clean run of Windows 7 I'm simply not convinced I "need" or "want" Windows 9.

I am certainly convinced that I do not "need" and sure as hell don't "want" windows 8. A substantial number of us still on Windows 7 were sold on it because it is largely the successor to XP which was a great OS and also got burned by Vista which was not an improved experience over XP.

Show me some stuff about Windows 9 that will get me excited Microsoft. Metro aint it. Flipping between desktop and table OS isn't' it either.

I have said this from the very start! All they need is to detect touchscreen vs. non-touch and allow the user the option of interface based on it. They had the code, they took it out, but this would be such a simple fix to a huge problem of adoption that they've had.

I really, really hope Windows 9 is the release to push me off 7, because I hate being a laggard.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I will rage if they give win7 free upgrade. win8 user pays their OS not to be treated the same level as win7.

Just what makes you think those of us on Windows 7 will run out and buy windows 9 without real value adds anyway? After the debacle that is Windows 8 on a notebook or desktop without all the features and clean run of Windows 7 I'm simply not convinced I "need" or "want" Windows 9.

I am certainly convinced that I do not "need" and sure as hell don't "want" windows 8. A substantial number of us still on Windows 7 were sold on it because it is largely the successor to XP which was a great OS and also got burned by Vista which was not an improved experience over XP.

Show me some stuff about Windows 9 that will get me excited Microsoft. Metro aint it. Flipping between desktop and table OS isn't' it either.
So many months later and people are still bitching about the lack of a start button, while many many others understood that Win 8 is actually better than 7 and even started getting along with the new Start screen that you get to see only once in a while... instead of crying about it or giving negatives to Win 8 and it`s users how about give it a try.

Funny thing is that at launch Win Xp was greeted with hate as well, it had higher hardware requirements, many users praised Win 98 SE back then like the holy grail... fast forward in time ... and everybody loved Xp... and contrary to popular belief even Vista ran well on the right hardware, but Win 7 had even lower system requirements thus putting Vista in the shadow as a fail OS. Same here with 8 but this time the complains are only for the Start menu/screen ...

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I look forward to the unveiling of the Windows 9 to hopefully stop hearing about the Windows 8 dissatisfaction among users without Start8. It is very usable now with the last update and will be even better after the next update when the start menu returns.

Jim90

Distinguished
The picture of the start screen sums up everything that is wrong with W8/9/MS. All that's missing is the large fingerprints over the screen...a UI that has NO place in a desktop.

Note: the major complaint is not about the engine underneath, but about the obvious touchscreen implications that MS has been forcing users to adopt. In the future, with a perfectly functioning substructure (voice activation etc., etc.) then yes. Definitely not now.

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
My biggest problem with the Metro interface isn't even on Windows 8/8.1. It's on Windows 2012. In a SERVER OS! Also, in W8 ENTERPRISE. I mean, Really? Client-wise, ok, cool, have your toy-ish interface. But to have that on a professional level? That's corporate suicide. People in a work environment don't have time to fiddle around with what amounts to no more than a toy. On a tablet it would work great, but keep that shit off my servers. As a network technician, that pisses the hell out of me. Not to mention that some servers have a text-only interface, so what exactly is the point of it in a server environment?

As an OS, W2012 has awesome improvements over W2008, but the interface puts me and many of my co-workers off. We want to configure our server as efficiently as possible, not spend hours trying to figure out how to do things we used to do in a few clicks. Even the text-only servers are more intuitive and less time-consuming that this POS.

Matthew Busse

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
After an extremely short reorientation, win 8 works great. It feels very light and has been compatible with every piece of software I've tried to run. Touch ui? Just hit the windows button on the keyboard and it's gone. I don't understand the complaints. Mac os now, what a pos

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Soooo, zero improvements for new OS? They'll only add "turn tablet interface if touch screen is available"? And are so desperate that they might even make Windows 7 -> Win 9 for free or just this nice new feature? Not impressed.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Ive been waiting for this and after trying Windows 8 for 2 weeks I only wanted to upgrade for the built in ability to load ISOs without third party software, the new task bar on each monitor, and the improved task manager.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
windows 8 is not bad. i realized that people who are stuck on windows 7 and are unwilling to move to windows 8 have not given it enough time. it's been extremely stable and the problems i had when i first installed it have been ironed out.

metro isn't all that great, i barely use it. but if you need to find something, you just open metro and start typing. it'll automatically find whatever you are looking for. it's not that bad.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
The update with the start button in windows 8 has helped heaps. Like others have said if it could give you options like windows 7 classic. It would mean many more would update.

iogbrideau

Reputable
May 28, 2014
The truth is people are afraid of change. I adopted Windows 8 early on and never had any trouble, set it right away to go direct to desktop and I don't use the interface much, but still, it had, and still has in 8.1 update 1 all the stuff that Windows 7 has, and more. Even the menus, such as an alternate start menu just a rightclick away if you're on the desktop.

iogbrideau

Reputable
May 28, 2014

If you don't know about Win+X you shouldn't be working on servers. I have worked on Server 2012 and it's pretty much the same as Server 2008R2 intefacewise, you just don't have the start menu, all the other stuff are at the same places they used to be, thus making it the same speed to set things up as they were on Server 2008R2.

Status
Not open for further replies.