Windows 98 Set-up

I have recently Installed a Linksys Wireless-G ASDL (WAG54G) Gateway on my PC
and successfully connected a second (Windows XP) PC using a Linksys USB
Network adaptor.
I have attemped to connect a third PC running Windows 98 using the same
hardware without success.
I would therefore appreciate any help or advice in setting up the USB
network adaptor on the PC running Windows 98.
At the moment I have gone into the control panel etc and the tab for
selecting 'never dial a network connection' etc are greyed out and I do not
get a wireless icon in the system tray etc.

Any help is appreciated - Eos

Malke

Eos wrote:

> I have recently Installed a Linksys Wireless-G ASDL (WAG54G) Gateway
> on my PC and successfully connected a second (Windows XP) PC using a
> Linksys USB Network adaptor.
> I have attemped to connect a third PC running Windows 98 using the
> same hardware without success.
> I would therefore appreciate any help or advice in setting up the USB
> network adaptor on the PC running Windows 98.
> At the moment I have gone into the control panel etc and the tab for
> selecting 'never dial a network connection' etc are greyed out and I
> do not get a wireless icon in the system tray etc.
>
> Any help is appreciated - Eos

Is this Win98 Second Edition or First? USB handling in First was iffy.
Do you know if any USB devices work well on that computer?

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

devices work normally on the PC.

Eos

"Malke" wrote:

> Eos wrote:
>
> > I have recently Installed a Linksys Wireless-G ASDL (WAG54G) Gateway
> > on my PC and successfully connected a second (Windows XP) PC using a
> > Linksys USB Network adaptor.
> > I have attemped to connect a third PC running Windows 98 using the
> > same hardware without success.
> > I would therefore appreciate any help or advice in setting up the USB
> > network adaptor on the PC running Windows 98.
> > At the moment I have gone into the control panel etc and the tab for
> > selecting 'never dial a network connection' etc are greyed out and I
> > do not get a wireless icon in the system tray etc.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated - Eos
>
> Is this Win98 Second Edition or First? USB handling in First was iffy.
> Do you know if any USB devices work well on that computer?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

Eos wrote:

> USB devices work normally on the PC.
>
> Eos

Original problem:
>> Eos wrote:
>>
>> > I have recently Installed a Linksys Wireless-G ASDL (WAG54G)
>> > Gateway on my PC and successfully connected a second (Windows XP)
>> > PC using a Linksys USB Network adaptor.
>> > I have attemped to connect a third PC running Windows 98 using the
>> > same hardware without success.
>> > I would therefore appreciate any help or advice in setting up the
>> > USB network adaptor on the PC running Windows 98.
>> > At the moment I have gone into the control panel etc and the tab
>> > for selecting 'never dial a network connection' etc are greyed out
>> > and I do not get a wireless icon in the system tray etc.

Does the wireless device show up in Win98SE's Device Manager? Since
Win98 doesn't have any native way of managing wireless, did you also
install and configure the wireless connection management software that
presumably came with the device?

Malke