[SOLVED] Windows 98se backup and ssd

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
So I'm helping a friend by getting a windows 98 PC together to run some laser equipment. Will not work on a newer system as I've already verified it. So I got 98se running on an old Dell deminsion 4500. Got all the drivers I needed even gave it USB 2.0 , USB mass storage and USB hid mouse and keyboard support which were all items he was looking for so he can transfer files via flash drive and use a wireless keyboard and mouse. I also have the laser software and pci card configured. This took many hours and it was just a test. Now that I have it all working I need to replace the cdrom drive preferably with a DVD burner (CD ROM works half the time) I want to replace the psu, the hard drive and all ide cables. I can't get the Ms backup utility to load. I can select it but then I can't find it on the windows 98se disc to install it. Am I missing something or do I have another option? I would like to make a full backup so after I replace everything I can just restore it. I do have a USB adapter to plug in ide or sata devices. Can I just literally copy the entire drive and then put it on the new drive? I've never cloned a drive before I would have to assume it's more involved than that.

Thanks

Solution
You all are vastly overthinking this. Windows 98 was from a distant era when the user was all-powerful and the OS would obey whatever was asked of it. As such, you can create a bootable clone of the operating system using only Windows Explorer.

In Windows, format the drive you want to copy things to, let's say the D:\ drive. Immediately copy over io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com. D:\ is now bootable to DOS. Now copy over anything else on the drive you wish to clone except the pagefile (which is in the Windows folder by default).

Shut down, disconnect the C:\ drive and test booting from your new clone. That's it!

People today seem to have no comprehension of how much power Windows used to give the user, and see today's...
For some reason Windows 95/98(SE) doesn't install it's backup program with a normal install. In order to do so, you need to go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Click the Windows Setup tab>System Tools>Details. Click the box in front of the Backup utility, click OK>OK.

To do a full restore is somewhat convoluted as it involves reinstalling Win98, adding the backup utility and then using the Backup utility to Restore from the saved backup file (MyBackup.qic). This process is somewhat automated using a program on the Win98 install disk named pcrestore. https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...estore-windows-98-after-a-hard-disk-meltdown/

Last edited:

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
I might give data lifeguard a try. For some reason I could not get gparted to load all the way on this PC originally . The automatic settings for vga wouldn't work and when I manually chose the correct ones I just had a black screen forever. I have a feeling clonezilla will be the same. The hdd had xp on it but I ended up just like the 98 install disc format the drive.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
For some reason Windows 95/98(SE) doesn't install it's backup program with a normal install. In order to do so, you need to go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Click the Windows Setup tab>System Tools>Details. Click the box in front of the Backup utility, click OK>OK.

That didn't work for me. I found that info out early today and it acts like the backup utility isn't on the disc. I check the box but it can't find it to install it.

Make sue you have have directed Win98 to the CD drive (sometimes it defaults to the A drive). I always copy the Win98 directory onto the hdd so I don't have to put the CD into the drive everytime I want to make a change. If for some reason Win98 can't read the CD (you did say it only works half the time) than you may want to copy the Win98 directory to the C drive and try it again.

Last edited:
You all are vastly overthinking this. Windows 98 was from a distant era when the user was all-powerful and the OS would obey whatever was asked of it. As such, you can create a bootable clone of the operating system using only Windows Explorer.

In Windows, format the drive you want to copy things to, let's say the D:\ drive. Immediately copy over io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com. D:\ is now bootable to DOS. Now copy over anything else on the drive you wish to clone except the pagefile (which is in the Windows folder by default).

Shut down, disconnect the C:\ drive and test booting from your new clone. That's it!

People today seem to have no comprehension of how much power Windows used to give the user, and see today's endless permission-denied nannying as somehow normal.

Solution
If Windows isn't running when you make the clone, then you can certainly copy the pagefile too and leave it alone, because it will delete and recreate itself on next boot, so there's no need to delete it manually. It's just the one file you can't copy from within the Windows you are trying to clone!

If you move the pagefile to the root of C:\ before performing a clone, then you could simply drag and copy over the whole Windows folder. Isn't the whole point of Windows GUI so you can drag-and-drop instead of worrying about commandline syntax?

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018

People today seem to have no comprehension of how much power Windows used to give the user, and see today's endless permission-denied nannying as somehow normal.
Well that's awesome lol. I still have to order parts but I'm certainly going to try that first. See I'm used to not being able to do anything....I tried wiping , partitoning and formatting an old drive that had windows on it after I replaced it with a SSD in 10...no matter what powershell commands I found online I couldn't delete a f'n boot partition on a second drive.....that's what I'm used to.