Windows Ad Edition Could Be Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wall

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
^Isn't hacking the ad version pretty much the same as downloading illegally a non-ad version? Why go with the ads in the first place then?

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I would use it.. I just spent 300 bucks on my copy of Win7 Ultimate... and I have 5 other PC's in the house I want to upgrade. I'd take a free version any day!

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
MS can make a really basic windows OS for free. They can remove stuff such as themes and other apps. Maybe leave the most basic networking features.
They can limit the number of applications it can run at once to 5, if you enable adds, you can have more features, like Home Basic edition...

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Who really looks at the ads anyway? I've never in my life bought anything from the ads on websites and........ Office 2007 Home and Student for $150 bucks!! I'm in!!

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Possibly too little too late. For instance, Reactos is a open source Windows clone and ad free. www.reactos.org. Also, google has their own OS coming out and of course you have the many flavours of BSD/Linux. The big question is who would benifit from a ad version of windows?

randomizer

Champion
I can see it working in the corporate world, and on some home PCs, but for the most part this will have zero impact on piracy rates. If people who already don't pay for Windows want to continue to get Windows for free I'm sure they're going to get it without ads.

G

I wonder what would happen if you dont have internet on the PC, or if you set all their ad servers to localhost in the hosts file.. Can you really cripple windows anymore than adding ads to it?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
This version could be very useful in public "hot spots" where licensing might be a problem. However, I'm not sure the average home user will like it's desktop looking like a hockey arena.

p3t3or

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
When I was younger (and broke), I'd consider this. However, the Ad version does not currently have a place for me. Though, my parent's machine seems to think they have an illegal copy (they do not), and the Ad version might be a solution to that.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
The problem is that the OS gets pirated mostly in low income locations where it does not make much sense to advertise brand-name products. Why should advertisers pay for marketing coverage of people who can't afford to buy their products?

This might, however, be good for free internet kiosks to pay for connection and computers.

G

1.Who would want to advertise to people who cant afford an OS for their PC?
2.Who would run an add driven OS instead of a full featured Linux distro that's also free?

Strange

Finally.... hope it happens.

There's always spyware and such to hassle you anyway.

Hopefully it's full version and you get to play games and such.
Hope it's not a crappy limited software where you can't go on the net, install programs, games or others....

Status
Not open for further replies.