[SOLVED] Windows adjusted visual effects - Disabling options does nothing?

Solution
It would be funny if it didn't do anything still as many of the videos that show you how to get best performance out of say win 11 say to run PC in that setting. I see he mentions that towards end of article.
I suspect it might have changed in the last 8 years but I doubt you would notice a big change on your PC.
He right that much of the speed boost is an illusion.

I feel those settings for people trying to run on potatoes and need to get as much performance advantages as they can. I never bother changing those settings myself.

it only helps if you use integrated graphics, and in your case, those are only used for desktop, not graphically intensive actions, so you may not gain that much back.
You better off adding ram if you are...

Colif

Win 11 Master
It would be funny if it didn't do anything still as many of the videos that show you how to get best performance out of say win 11 say to run PC in that setting. I see he mentions that towards end of article.
I suspect it might have changed in the last 8 years but I doubt you would notice a big change on your PC.

I feel those settings for people trying to run on potatoes and need to get as much performance advantages as they can. I never bother changing those settings myself.

it only helps if you use integrated graphics, and in your case, those are only used for desktop, not graphically intensive actions, so you may not gain that much back.
You better off adding ram if you are concerned about usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShangWang
Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

You better off adding ram if you are concerned about usage.
Thanks for the input!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Starting in Windows Vista, a lot of visual effects were offloaded to the graphics card. Consequently, the impact on system performance for those visual effects is negligible, and sometimes turning off the effect actually makes your system run slower because you disabled hardware acceleration, forcing operations to be performed in software.

with it off the ram usage in system increases as you offloading processes the GPU would do onto software.

Hello, sorry to bother you again but can you confirm that visual improvements in general usually take up more RAM or is it just from the GPU?

In your laptop, ram is shared between igpu and CPU so the answer to that question is ram. Your Nvidia GPU ram only used when you play a game or run a graphically intensive program. So answer to your question is both, it depends on what you are doing. Its going to use ram at desktop.

I have no clue how much ram it would use, most IGPU have a maximum amount they can take anyway.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
with it off the ram usage in system increases as you offloading processes the GPU would do onto software.

In your laptop, ram is shared between igpu and CPU so the answer to that question is ram. Your Nvidia GPU ram only used when you play a game or run a graphically intensive program. So answer to your question is both, it depends on what you are doing. Its going to use ram at desktop.

I have no clue how much ram it would use, most IGPU have a maximum amount they can take anyway.
Thanks!