Question Windows and GPU-z detects wrong graphics card, please help? Resolved

Oct 2, 2019
Hi,

I have recently installed an Nvidia GTX 680m graphics card on an Alienware MX17 R 2 (yes, its old :) ). The card is detected but when I install the driver, with some trouble since the Nvidia installer would not detect my card so I had to change the inf file to include the GPU's ID, both Device Manger and GPU-z say its a different card. Initially it was a GTX GT 520M, when I installed a different driver it was a GTX GT 555M. However, the specs on GPU-z are those of a GTX 680M.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Hi,

I have recently installed an Nvidia GTX 680m graphics card on an Alienware MX17 R 2 (yes, its old :) ). The card is detected but when I install the driver, with some trouble since the Nvidia installer would not detect my card so I had to change the inf file to include the GPU's ID, both Device Manger and GPU-z say its a different card. Initially it was a GTX GT 520M, when I installed a different driver it was a GTX GT 555M. However, the specs on GPU-z are those of a GTX 680M.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
I think nvidia stopped driver support of 680m. Use DDU and uninstall the drivers, and then reinstall an old driver

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2019
Can you show GPU-Z screenshot?

Thanks for the reply. See screenshot below:

GPU-z.png

Oct 2, 2019
Look at

Look at the dxdiag tool. It is the only remaining option

I have checked the Dxdiag and whilst the device name is GeForce GT 555m, it states that the chipset is GeForce GTX 680m. However, it states that there is 3780MB of video memory, when there is on 2GB . See below:

dxdialog.png

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
I have checked the Dxdiag and whilst the device name is GeForce GT 555m, it states that the chipset is GeForce GTX 680m. However, it states that there is 3780MB of video memory, when there is on 2GB . See below:

dxdialog.png

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?
[emoji52]use ddu and reinstall other version of that driver. Your PC is confused

Oct 2, 2019
[emoji52]use ddu and reinstall other version of that driver. Your PC is confused

I resolved the problem. The issue was being caused by the fact that I had not modify the inf file properly. The driver has now been properly installed and Device Manager and GPU-z detect the GPU that is installed.

Reactions: daPain58