Question Windows and Ubuntu crash while booting

Dec 10, 2022
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a problem I am having.

I have just upgraded my PC and have donated my old PC to my younger daughter. In is an old i7 (2nd Gen) with a Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 motherboard with the current F10 BIOS installed running Win 10 Pro. Up until I replaced it last week it was working fine, No BSDs or any other problems.

AFter I setup my new PC I took my old one up to my daugters room and stripped out unwanted software, data etc. Everything worked fine. The next day it started to crash duing boot up the system would freeze with the circle of dots static on the screen. This happens with both normal boot and the repair boot. In each case the I cannot get to a point where I can actually do anything with the PC. I found that swapping the memory (dropping from 16GB to 8GB) did allow my to boot a couple of times but then I was back to the failed boot.

I then remembered that I had a HD with an Ubuntu server install on it and I tried that. Being text based I hoped it would give me some insight where the system was failing. I found it was consistantly failing after the line;

NET: Registered protocol family 44

I then tried disconnecting the network cable and Ubuntu booted. I tried booting Windows with the network cable disconnected and it consistantly worked where previously it had failed to boot. I then went into the BIOS and disabled the stop on errors setting and thsi allowed Windows to boot with the cable connected.

I was then able to restall a fresh copy of WIndows and all the software my daughter needed without issue. This was yesterday. the PC then proceeded to work flawlessly for 24 hours until just now when it failed to boot again. I tried with Ubuntu and it fails in the same place. This time however if I unplug the cable it still fails at the same point. I have tried disably the onboard LAN in the BIOS but no joy!

Given how far down the boot process the system gets I amnot convinced it is a hardware problem and if it is a harware problem then it seems to be localised to the LAN. I would rather not have to get a replacement motherboard as given the age of the PC they are not that easy to pick up now. I also feel that this is a problem that should be fixable, I am just not sure what to try next.

Any suggestions very welcome!

Jasper.

Last edited:
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a problem I am having.

I have just upgraded my PC and have donated my old PC to my younger daughter. In is an old i7 (2nd Gen) with a Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 motherboard with the current F10 BIOS installed running Win 10 Pro. Up until I replaced it last week it was working fine, No BSDs or any other problems.

AFter I setup my new PC I took my old one up to my daugters room and stripped out unwanted software, data etc. Everything worked fine. The next day it started to crash duing boot up the system would freeze with the circle of dots static on the screen. This happens with both normal boot and the repair boot. In each case the I cannot get to a point where I can actually do anything with the PC. I found that swapping the memory (dropping from 16GB to 8GB) did allow my to boot a couple of times but then I was back to the failed boot.

I then remembered that I had a HD with an Umbunto server install on it and I tried that. Being text based I hoped it would give me some insight where the system was failing. I found it was consistantly failing after the line;

NET: Registered protocol family 44

I then tried disconnecting the network cable and Umbuntu booted. I tried booting Windows with the network cable disconnected and it consistantly worked where previously it had failed to boot. I then went into the BIOS and disabled the stop on errors setting and thsi allowed Windows to boot with the cable connected.

I was then able to restall a fresh copy of WIndows and all the software my daughter needed without issue. This was yesterday. the PC then proceeded to work flawlessly for 24 hours until just now when it failed to boot again. I tried with Umbunto and it fails in the same place. This time however if I unplug the cable it still fails at the same point. I have tried disably the onboard LAN in the BIOS but no joy!

Given how far down the boot process the system gets I amnot convinced it is a hardware problem and if it is a harware problem then it seems to be localised to the LAN. I would rather not have to get a replacement motherboard as given the age of the PC they are not that easy to pick up now. I also feel that this is a problem that should be fixable, I am just not sure what to try next.

Any suggestions very welcome!

Jasper.
Wth is "
Umbunto ???