[SOLVED] Windows automatically changed startup drive

Festiz

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016
Okey, never quite encountered something like this. But to keep it short, a couple months ago I bought a new SSD and it's been working fine. Today when I started my PC though, the OS booted on my old SSD instead and obviously changed it to the main storage drive in the Devices tab. They both still show up, it's just that it for some reason changed the booting order of these two. I assume it has something to do with BIOS, but I don't want to go in there and do anything before I'm certain of the problem, from previous experiences. Also when booting into BIOS and checking the Hard Drive Priority, I only see "[Windows Boot Manager]" and the name of the new SSD (which is the one I want to boot onto).

I can provide specs if needed, also pictures but can't seem to find a way to post pictures in this thread.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Changing the boot order or primary boot drive in the BIOS won't hurt anything. If it does not work change it back. I've seen the BIOS reset several times for no seeming reason, happened at least twice this year at work with laptops which caused boot issues. Easy to fix.

Festiz

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016
Okay so I only have 2 storage components in my PC, both SSDs. Today it started booting from my old SSD which I ofc don't want. So I headed into BIOS and went to Hard Drive Priority hoping to see both SSD's. Instead I found that the first one is Windows Boot Manager and the second is my new SSD. So is "Windows Boot Manager" the older SSD and would something hapen if I switched the order of those two?
PS. When looking in system information in BIOS I can see the name of both my SSD's and any other info there is about them.

Changing the boot order or primary boot drive in the BIOS won't hurt anything. If it does not work change it back. I've seen the BIOS reset several times for no seeming reason, happened at least twice this year at work with laptops which caused boot issues. Easy to fix.

Solution