[SOLVED] Windows boot drive wont detect, but only on older systems?

ak47fireshard

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
Preface: I don't know where this issue belongs, whether in Storage, Prebuilts/Enterprise, CPUs, or where ever so I'm putting it here since this is the most likely place?

- I'm trying to set up a PC capable of very light gaming
Alright so I have this 1TB WD Blue with Windows 10 installed on it, and I set it up in this Dell Inspiron 3650 with an i3 6100 in it, along with 6 GB of DDR3L. It booted up perfectly fine with the install of Windows 10 and worked like a charm. However, as much as I love the form factor of this PC, it just doesn't have enough power to put this AMD R7 250 card in it, only outputs to black. So on to the next machine, another Dell business PC with 4 GB of DDR3 and an i5 3330. HDD is detected in bios, but refuses to boot. Tells me theres no operating system on the drive, when I know there is. Alright, so how about I throw it in a PC that Dell has not perverted, a custom PC with 16 GB of ram and an i5 4590, MSI H87 Motherboard. No luck there either. Refusing to boot, same error message as the Dell. So now I am wondering if maybe Ivy Bridge and Haswell just hate my windows install? I don't know much about the inner working of OS installs, such as UEFI (if that's got anything to do with it at all) so I am asking for help on this one. Is there perhaps another way I should install Windows? I used a bootable USB to install the current copy.

Solution
Obviously it's not that installing Windows on one computer and transferring the drive to another won't work, as you have done it. The problem is it can cause corruption issues that are not readily apparent. As an example, the second computer can make changes to the BCD, so it will no longer boot on the first computer.
Obviously it's not that installing Windows on one computer and transferring the drive to another won't work, as you have done it. The problem is it can cause corruption issues that are not readily apparent. As an example, the second computer can make changes to the BCD, so it will no longer boot on the first computer.

Solution