[SOLVED] Windows boot manager not detected in BIOS after installing Windows 10

Bigem_neo

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Hey everyone

Yesterday I installed Win 10 on my Samsung 970 NVMe SSD and the PC booted normally. After installing all the necessary drivers I shutt off the PC.

But when turning on the PC this morning, the windows boot manager was not detected in the BIOS while the SSD is showing up.

Should I try a new clean install with a USB flash drive? Thanks for your help.

Specs:
MOBO : MSI Z590 Tomahawk Wifi
CPU : i9-10900K
SSD : Samsung 970 M.2

Solution
bios shouldn't just forget the boot settings over night.
I wonder if you need to replace the CMOS battery as you could just reinstall it now, and turn PC off, and it happens again the next day.
Would save you some time.

Hmm, so to find the instructions for the BIOS, you have to download the Motherbaord manual and then copy a link from the manual into google to get the real bios manual - http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/Intel500BIOS.pdf
Why not just link it on the site?

so is it bios that has forgotten boot order or windows that isn't showing?

it doesn't help there are 2 meanings for windows boot manager
  1. Some bios have it as an option in boot order where it acts as a database of all bootable devices
  2. Windows...

Colif

Win 11 Master
unusual

try this
  1. boot from installer
  2. on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  3. choose troubleshoot
  4. choose advanced
  5. choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

it doesn't normally help but maybe.

So you set up accounts and everything?

Bigem_neo

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
unusual

try this
  1. boot from installer
  2. on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  3. choose troubleshoot
  4. choose advanced
  5. choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info
it doesn't normally help but maybe.

So you set up accounts and everything?
Yes, in 1st installation my account has been set up alongside all drivers and windows updates

Colif

Win 11 Master
bios shouldn't just forget the boot settings over night.
I wonder if you need to replace the CMOS battery as you could just reinstall it now, and turn PC off, and it happens again the next day.
Would save you some time.

Hmm, so to find the instructions for the BIOS, you have to download the Motherbaord manual and then copy a link from the manual into google to get the real bios manual - http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/Intel500BIOS.pdf
Why not just link it on the site?

so is it bios that has forgotten boot order or windows that isn't showing?

it doesn't help there are 2 meanings for windows boot manager
  1. Some bios have it as an option in boot order where it acts as a database of all bootable devices
  2. Windows has a boot manager that it uses to choose default OS

I don't know which one you are talking about.

Solution

Bigem_neo

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Did the ssd already have a OS on it? Does it boot into that?
Windows install puts the boot files into whichever drive is first in the boot order and not onto the drive you tell it to install windows on (unless these two drives are the same drive) .
Yes it has a old windows folder. What I ended up doing is disconnecting the other 2 SSDs and doing a new clean install, so I make sure the boot manager is in the Samsung M.2 SSD only

Bigem_neo

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
You still have to tell your bios to boot from the m.2 because as soon as you put the ssds back it will start from them again.
I did that just after the new clean install. Went in the BIOS and made sure the boot manager from the M.2 was showing up as the priority boot driver.

So when I connect later the other SSDs, will the M.2 still be the 1st in order ?