Question Windows boot up conundrum?

cpt price

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hello, I am facing an issue regarding the boot up of windows on my pc, everything was working fine until I shut down my computer last night and turned it on in the morning.

I was using 16 gigs of ram for a few months without issues (4gb x 2 Samsung 12800e ecc memory+ 4gb x 2 adata 128000u non ecc) and it would keep rebooting in an instant. i took 1 stick out and it works now but i rebooted several times in order to find the issue. the issue seems to be with double dual channel mode an all ram slots as well as all sticks are fine.

Previously to this issue, I was using a 256gb Lexar ssd as my OS drive and a 1TB hdd to store games. this 1TB hard disk also housed my old OS which was also windows 10. I'm not sure if the constant rebooting fried the boot manager on the ssd or not but when i go to boot options an choose my ssd as the OS, i get a black screen that says the boot manager is missing however it boots up fine with my old OS on the Hdd.

The problem is that once its done booting up, it seems it boots up into my ssd drive where the boot manager is corrupt. Checking msconfig to see the active OS also confirms that im using ssd OS as current. the speed seems slightly slower however an im logged out of my EA account which makes me wonder which OS i am really using. Should i just install a fresh OS on my ssd or is this normal?

PC specs:
I5 2500
Gtx 1050Ti
dq67sw Mobo
Lexar ssd 256gb
1Tb Hdd
16 gigs ram
micronics classic 2 500w

Solution
Windows is installed on 256GB drive.
But bootloader (System, Active Partition) is located on 1TB drive.
That's why your pc without HDD is not bootable.
This happens, if you install windows with more than single drive connected.

If you wish to make 256GB drive bootable, then you have to create bootloader on it manually.
Execute following from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 238GB disk)
list partition
select partition 1
(select 238GB partition)
shrink desired=500

cpt price

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
I have been running it without issue for a few months prior to this incident. Not only that the memory sticks are unbuffered so they actually do work. i am currently using the system with 4gb x 2 12800U sticks an 4gb x1 12800e sticks as i write this. the issue that i have is regarding the windows predicament

If you wish to make 256GB drive bootable, then you have to create bootloader on it manually.
Execute following from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 238GB disk)
list partition
select partition 1
(select 238GB partition)
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:

Last message should be "Boot files created successfully".
Then go into BIOS and change boot priority to boot from 256GB drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: cpt price
Solution

cpt price

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 238GB disk)
list partition
select partition 1
(select 238GB partition)
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:

Last message should be "Boot files created successfully".
Then go into BIOS and change boot priority to boot from 256GB drive.

Hello SkyNetRising,
I did all the steps you stated and I'm happy to report that now I can boot from the SSD. I have set the boot order with the SSD as 1st and the HDD as the 2nd drive.
Thanks for the help as this was indeed the issue.