Question Windows booting into black screen and cursor

Raw Berserker

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Hello.

I've had this problem for a few months now, and it's extremely annoying. It's like playing roulette every time I boot my PC as to whether my desktop will load or not.
Booting my PC is fine until the point where I have to enter my password, at which point either it logs in as normal in less than 5 seconds, or it loads for about 10-15 seconds into a black desktop and cursor. I've tried a whole lot of "fixes" that I've found online to no avail.
When it logs in like this, I can't right click on the desktop. I can open task manager, and I try restarting explorer.exe, but nothing happens. I've got fast boot turned off from BIOS. I also can't turn off or restart the PC from Ctrl+Shift+Del, I get stuck on the loading circle (I've left this for a long time) and nothing happens. Instead I have to either hard press the power button or press the reset button on the tower.
I'd love some help so I'd answer any question to get there. I want to exhaust all the options before I have to reinstall windows.

Thanks a bunch.

Raw Berserker

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Seems like corrupted user profile.
Create second user account and try using that instead. See, if you can reproduce the same issue.

I've got a second Admin user (because sometimes Windows tells me that I'm not the administrator), but trying to log into that when it's on a black screen fit doesn't work either. I'll make a new user as soon as I can and let you know if it continues to happen on that.

Raw Berserker

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Seems like corrupted user profile.
Create second user account and try using that instead. See, if you can reproduce the same issue.

Hey, so finally got a chance to try it out. You helped me to get closer to a solution. The new user was loading straight in since it didn't have a password on it, and I tried it half a dozen times with it loading in fine each time. However, it wasn't all peachy. Even though Windows was loading in, with the same frequency as the previous problem, it wouldn't let me shut down or restart the PC without using the hard buttons, and I get the "this programme is preventing shutdown" screen, but I'm not sure what I can do about it.
IMG_20220521_174924__01.jpg

Raw Berserker

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Another thing, when the PC takes a while to boot and I can't shut it down, it seems to crash after about 4 or 5 hours and I have to force restart. The crash is that it just goes black and I can't do anything, but continues to play sound of whatever programme was running.