Windows Campaign Violating Trademark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Lovely... a starting company trying to make a quick buck out of microsoft. This is the very reason why innovation comes to a halt.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
"G.ho.st has not officially trademarked the phrase and has only filed an application to do so, on the same day that it had sent Microsoft the original letter – last Tuesday."

They haven't a chance. I guess they're just hoping for a decent settlement.

antonbar

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Note that G.ho.st has the "No walls" trademark by the virtue of use (http://books.google.co.il/books?id=n3p-cmJ1mC0C&pg=PT282&lpg=PT282&dq=trademark+law+%22virtue+of+use%22&source=web&ots=HClc-d2CXq&sig=4dtISnXx8ob2XrkHj66DU2_kfwU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result).

There's no need to register in order to get this right.

Cheers,
Anton.

Scooder

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
MS can royally eff up their advertising campaigns on their own, thank you very much. They don't need help.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Anton: the case you reference is valid in-so-far as it shows that 'virtue of use' is required over 'intent to use' as a measure of defacto trademark. However, I'm not aware of a precedent for a non-tradmarked advertising slogan being upheld as a basis for a cease and desist action as G.ho.st is trying to pursue in this letter.

G

lol lamer startup businesses... this is part of the reason Americas economy is crashing and burning... because they don't' innovate they just "steal"

G

Well, it looks that this G.ho.st is getting cheap publicity ...
What would they want more ? I bet no one ever heard about them before this "newsflash".

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
well... mabye i can sue them both too.... because my moto is "I live without walls" but i dont have it licensed.... but still....

zvi

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
In trademark law you accumulate rights by virtue of use - with or without registration. When G.ho.st applied for a registration recently, it was applying to register legal rights in the trademark NO WALLS which G.ho.st had already accumulated by public use of the trademark NO WALLS since April 2007, 17 months before Microsoft first used it.

Clearly Microsoft have no right to use the same trademark (or minor variations) as a much smaller competitor, and even though we are much smaller we will do our best to protect our intellectual property rights and not get bullied.

Zvi Schreiber
CEO, G.ho.st

G

Sorry, but to me it seems just like a little try to get big attention.
Trying to get company name mentioned everywhere.

I'm not talking of trademarks (no idea about USA's laws) - but just about trying to get cheap publicity.

antonbar

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
moriarty, would you seat aside quietly and watch MS stealing YOUR trademark, just because any attempt to protect it would look like a "little try to get big attention"?

lolcopter

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
HA HA. The claim is so broad. You americans will sue over anything. I hope MS crushes you and then buys you out and releases your product as freeware beta and then retrenches everyone and sell off the assets for 50c. PWNT. Everyone is suing everyone over every little thing because they have nothing worthwhile to bring to the market. Always the little fish trying to be a big fish.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
"In trademark law you accumulate rights by virtue of use - with or without registration. When G.ho.st applied for a registration recently, it was applying to register legal rights in the trademark NO WALLS which G.ho.st had already accumulated by public use of the trademark NO WALLS since April 2007, 17 months before Microsoft first used it.

Clearly Microsoft have no right to use the same trademark (or minor variations) as a much smaller competitor, and even though we are much smaller we will do our best to protect our intellectual property rights and not get bullied.

Zvi Schreiber
CEO, G.ho.st"
I believe that is only true if the defacto trademark is actually known to anybody but the three people who made it.

G

It's true that you acquire trademarking rights by virtue of use, without or without registration. But according to Cornell's trademark resource page, those rights a *very* limited. The best thing to do is to register the trademark with the USPTO as soon as possible, instead of waiting until a trademark issue pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.