Question Windows cannot access specified file you may not have permissions fortnite

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
Hi guys,
So this started happening when I recently got the windows insider preview update (I think the build was 18898.something). Normally, I would launch the epic games launcher and start fortnite. However, now everytime I try to start it, a message saying 'windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have permissions...'

I have tried uninstalling and installing, rebooting then reinstalling. I have tried to give permissions to myself, that didn't work. I even tried to stop all non Microsoft services to see if that would work, but unfortunately not.

And for some reason I also cannot downgrade back to the previous version of Windows.

Please help,
Thanks,
Salm2s

Last edited:

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Reinstall the game onto a different drive if possible. If that doesn't work, try verifying Fortnite through EGL. This sounds like a scenario where the game is installed on a nonexistent drive location, therefore causing it to reject your launch attempts.

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
Reinstall the game onto a different drive if possible. If that doesn't work, try verifying Fortnite through EGL. This sounds like a scenario where the game is installed on a nonexistent drive location, therefore causing it to reject your launch attempts.
Sorry, I had shortened the error message. The message actually says "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have permissions..."

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
Hi there,
I recently upgraded my windows to an insider preview (build 18898.rs_prerelease). Recently, i have been having issues with launching fortnite. Everytime i open the epic games launcher and click "Lauch" to launch fortnite, it pops up with a message sayin "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them." The file in particular is 'FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe'.

Steps taken:
  1. reinstalled, did not work
  2. Gave myself full control permissions, did not work
  3. uninstalled, restarted, installed, did not work
  4. uninstalled, then installed, restarted, did not work
  5. reinstalled both EasyAntiCheat and BattleEye, did not work

With all these steps taken, i have not been able to resolve this issue.
Other games such as Apex Legends also use the EasyAntiCheat software, but has no problems laucnhing.

Please help,
Thanks,
salm2s

Have you tried to starting the game clicking on the file in it's location such as the Program file folder. When you uninstalled the game(s) did you check to see that Program files had been deleted? Often the delete instructions from these programs will leave some files behind so you can pick up where you started, but these files may be also be corrupted. Right click on the shortcut that opens the program and see if it properly shows the path to the executive file that starts the program.

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
Have you tried to starting the game clicking on the file in it's location such as the Program file folder. When you uninstalled the game(s) did you check to see that Program files had been deleted? Often the delete instructions from these programs will leave some files behind so you can pick up where you started, but these files may be also be corrupted. Right click on the shortcut that opens the program and see if it properly shows the path to the executive file that starts the program.
I have tried opening fortnite from the program files, but no luck. I also used iobit's powerful uninstall to remove residual files and reinstalled, but still no luck. Could this be happening because my os is an insider preview?