[SOLVED] Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razgriz450

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks.

I built my computer with parts I ordered and things were ok except that I kept getting BSOD's with System Service Exceptions. I did a lot of trouble shooting and reinstalling and updating of drivers and such but nothing helped. I decided it would be best to completely reinstall Windows, so I put in my install disk and formatted Disk 0 Partition 2, deleted it, and turned it into unallocated space. Now, it says I am unable to install Windows on this disk.

Did I screw up? Help me please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I got the solution!

The resolution to this issue depends on the the hard disk volume size:

1. Follow these steps if the hard disk volume size is less than 2.19 TB:
  2. Temporarily disable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS:
  3. Restart the computer, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS.
  4. Navigate to Storage > Boot Order , and then disable the EFI Boot Sources.
  5. Select File > Save Changes > Exit.
  6. Install the Windows operating system.
  7. Enable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS:
  8. Restart the computer, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS.
  9. Navigate to Storage > Boot Order , and then enable the EFI Boot Sources.
  10. ...

lakisha

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

Thx, U R LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aitia

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

Hi,

I tried doing this but encountered a problem. When I click the 'new' button, it doesn't do anything, it won't create partitions.

Currently I have:
Drive 0 unallocated space total size - 146.5 GB free space 146.5 GB
Drive 0 Partition 1 total size 319.3 GB free space 100.2 GB type - primary

The unlocatted space - this is where I should install the windows 8 OS
The drive 0 partition 1 - this is supposedly the drive D where I have backed up data.

I read about the diskpart method but I am hesitant to do the 'clean' command as I believe it would wipe out all data.

when I do the list disk method, this shows up:

Disk ### status size free dyn gpt
------------- --------- -------- ----- ---- ------
Disk 0 online 465 GB 146 GB
Disk 1 online 14 GB 0 B *

What should I do? i want to install windows 8 fresh.

Istanpoly

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

Just change a DVD driver or use external cd drive, happened with me and solved with this solution :)

wbarnes1989

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015

Or... He could have disabled uefi boot in his bios settings and booted the install disk in legacy mode.

That's it, problem solved. In the future please avoid recommending people reformat their entire system as a fix if you don't actually know what's wrong. You just had some of these guys fix a hang nail with a sledge hammer... Thankfully, none of them appeared to have had important data on their drives.

Complete reformatting is ALWAYS a last ditch effort. About 90% of the time someone recommends a complete reformat it's due to ignorance and not the actual fix to the problem. It just gets it to work. Yes, I can nail a nail into a board with a sledge hammer. However, a regular hammer would have been the correct tool and would have sufficed just as well.

hammad_2

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015

Thank you sooo much for this!! Worked for windows 10 like a charm

FredROgers23

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015

What do you do if it won't create a partition after clicking "delete" and deleting the MBR partition? I tried the "new" button, attempted to create a new partition and it, inexplicably, failed. I got super weird error messages in attempting to create the new partition. Anybody got an idea how to fix this?

Skywhale

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Me too. I have tried all the fixes in this thread and still cant install windows on to my new ssd. In theory if I I change the bios settings to disable uefi and enable legacy mode - but when i try this, it becomes impossible to boot from the usb with windows on it altogether. Instead of booting the usb drive, i get a black screen with grey text that reads missing operating system. Why is this happening, and what can I do to resolve it?

Reeshabh Ranjan

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Thanks brother ! It worked. I disabled UEFI instead. I think that's okay.

Daniel_85

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015

Thanks man:D I know its been a wile but i just got to thank you! I was unhappy about windows 10 and this was the only way for me to downgrade, I was stuck on this same part for hours thanks for helping! if it were not for you I wouldn't be downgrading to windows 8.1! Thanks again!

alosov

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

THANK YOU!
100% Fix for me and several buddies:

Open Command Prompt.

Type:

diskpart

At the DISKPART prompt, type:

list disk

Make note of the disk number of the disk from which you want to delete the partition.

select disk #

Select the disk # from which you want to delete the partition.

list partition

Make note of the number of the partition that you want to delete.

select partition #

Select the partition # that you want to delete.

delete partition

macmoholic

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

Thank you so much! Ive been searching for this solution for hours and I had to make this account just to thank you!

jamesbones626

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

THERES A SUPER SIMPLE EASY WAY TO GET THIS DONE
when you get to the point where its asking for your serial key, push SHIFT + F10 - It'll open command prompt
Now on command prompt enter "Diskpart" - without the quotes
now you're going to enter list disk
now you should have your disks list. Find the one you want and enter select disk (your disk number here) for example select disk 0
now you're going to enter clean
now its cleaned, now enter convert GTP
now you're good and its converted type exit to exit and finish the install

RDSingh

Commendable
May 21, 2016
I read this post . Formatting was what I don't wanna try . Other solutions did not work. Since windows can't be installed using a USB 3.0 port , USB 3.0 pen drive because it will automatically run that in UEFI mode, I tried pressing ESC key at boot up. It gave me options like .. sandisk and [UEFI] sandisk. I selected the one without UEFI. That's it . It worked.

sanjunior

Commendable
May 21, 2016

after following the above procedure am unable to format the unallocated space in order to proceed with the installation.the format button has 'disappeared' any assistance please

Iuli__

Commendable
May 22, 2016

Please be carefull doing this option, I have tried this on a Lenovo G510, and after I deleted the partition, I wasn't able to create a new one with the unallocated space. So I went to BIOS, in boot option, and I have changed from UEFI First, to Legacy First, saved and exit BIOS. After that everything went just at it should have, when I pressed the "New" button, it created the new partition and I could install windows normally. Don't forget after installing windows to go back in BIOS and change back in Boot Option, UEFI First

Alan_49

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Changing the boot order to a non UEFI DVD worked for me too, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.