[SOLVED] Windows cannot be installed on this disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hi all. Long time lurker here.
I normally find my answers by searching, so thank you all for all of your help over the years.

I have searched this one, but I don't understand what I need to do.
I don't really understand the words.

I have a new SSD which I was going to do a fresh install of windows 7 onto.
When I got it, I was suggested to initialize it with the MBR option.

I put my W7 Cd in as I have before and it told me I couldn't load it because it was MBR and needed to be GPT. So, I found out how to convert it to GPT.
Tried again and it told me:
windows cannot be installed on this disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style

Feels like it can't make up its mind.

I see that it is a known issue, but from what I can see, I need to delete my partitions, but I don't think I have any.

Sorry to ask this question yet again, but I don't understand what I need to do.
Thanks.

Solution
Deleting files is not enough. All partitions have to be removed.
By clean - I mean diskpart clean. You can launch command prompt window in windows installation by pressing Shift+F10.

undo-diskpart-clean-command-3.jpg
There are 2 ways to launch windows installation - legacy mode and UEFI mode.
In legacy mode you can install on MBR drive only. In UEFI mode you can install on GPT drive only.

If there are existing partitions on the drive, install can not change partition style because that would cause data loss on existing partitions.

Clean your drive before installing windows onto it. Windows installation then will partition and format everything as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for answering.

I thought I had cleaned it.
The only thingthat has ever been on it was some test files and then I deleted them.

I then asked the guys at the manufacturers and they got me to 'sanitize' it with their software before I changed it to GPT.

Can I ask what you mean by 'clean it' please?

I also can't see any partitions on it.