[SOLVED] "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

jh951682

Commendable
Mar 25, 2018
hi guys iam using kali+ubuntu and i want to use windows 10 too because some softwares are not available linux bases systems.

iam using ryzen2200g
gigabyte b350m mobo

i created bootable usb from woeusb in ubuntu and iam getting this error "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

heeeeelp please :(

Boot from windows installation media in UEFI mode.

When you boot from install media in legacy mode, you can install on MBR drive only.
To install on GPT partitioned drive, you must boot from install media in UEFI mode.

It's also possible, your install media doesn't support UEFI mode, then you'd need to recreate your install media. Use rufus.

jh951682

Commendable
Mar 25, 2018
Boot from windows installation media in UEFI mode.

When you boot from install media in legacy mode, you can install on MBR drive only.
To install on GPT partitioned drive, you must boot from install media in UEFI mode.

It's also possible, your install media doesn't support UEFI mode, then you'd need to recreate your install media. Use rufus.

hi thanks for your reply but I dont know how to change legacy to UEFI mode i tried everything.
i used rufus and it says that i have to change to UEFI mode and i cant find in settings.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that i have to change to UEFI mode and i cant find in settings.
It is on now. Your motherboard has two choices under CSM on the boot menu. EUFI only or EUFI/CSM which is the default. So in the default set up, on a start up, it should swap between the boot methods if it can't find the right one for drives. You could disable CSM which forces PC to use UEFI

CSM is what UEFI bios use to emulate old Legacy bios support.

I assume its got similar bios menus to my Aorus X570, they tend to use same software across boards, just support different features.