windows cannot be installed to this disk. this computers hardware may not support booting to this disk ensure that the disks c

Samer Youssef

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
windows cannot be installed to this disk. this computers hardware may not support booting to this disk ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers bios menu

I am getting this error, I already looked up some threads which talked about the same problem, but for some reason I can't still figure it out. I need someone to walk me through it please!

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
First of all, is this a HDD or an SSD? If it is the former, listen to hear if it is spinning up. Also, have you ensured you have formatted the disk prior to installing windows? Follow this link if you haven't to ensure you actually have a file protocol active on the drive.

Samer Youssef

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

I have HDD and I think I can hear it spinning and I did format it before trying to install windows 7, I am not sure what you mean having a file protocol active on the drive?

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
Is what formatting the HDD does. It gives it the file format, which basically tells the hard drive how to write the 0's and 1's.

I would take a look and see if there is a BIOS update on the manufacture's website. Especially if it is a new HDD, it may have a different protocol than what your old BIOS version can support.

Samer Youssef

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

That might be a stupid question but how can I upgrade the BIOS without having an operating system?

Samer Youssef

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

How can I find my BIOS model? Sorry in advance.

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
Yes, you should format that as well, it is a small protocol portion that needs to be operational in order for the disk indexing to work. Go ahead and format that and see if it helps.