[SOLVED] Windows cannot boot after switching sata ports.

darrell_17

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
So, today i finally have the will to move my ssd's connection from the sata 2 i wrongfully plug in, to the sata 3 connection, boy was it a very huge mistake. So i first tried doing the steps told from this thread from the user LeanMan82 because i found out that the windows files went from c drive to d drive, it didn't help me, it went from a windows repair not being able to fix it, to a windows boot error 0xc000007b. And now after around 4 hours, I'm still stuck with 0xc000007b boot error. I tried using all the bootrec commands, didn't help me abit. Can anyone help me, i really need to use my computer for classes tomorrow.

20200720-224405.jpg
20200720-230320.jpg

Solution
you wont lose any files ideally. borrow a friends pc and make a windows live os or linux live os on a usb. boot onto that, and copy your files over. then you can copy back to your fresh windows what you need, or just leave the files there for when you need to use them. you can also try running a disk check for bad sectors or filesystem errors while on a live os.

darrell_17

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
full system spec?
look like that c drive is the recovery disk.
try d . e drive
Its an old system, i5 3450, ddr3 ram 2x8gb 10600, gtx750ti, with a kingston A400 240gb ssd and 2 WD blue 1tb hdd, the system files are on the d drive for some reason, and what should i try with the d drive?

Update: revovery disk is on F drive

Update 2: tried doing the steps from here, error becomes "PC did not start correctly" error. And now i cant do /fixboot, keeps giving me access denied.

Last edited:

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
consider reinstalling your os, boot up a linux live cd or something and copy all your drive files to one of your hdds and put a fresh windows. you might also want to try ntfs-fix or another linux tool to check the disk for errors. maybe you have bad sectors. in terms of time efficiency, reinstalling is the best way, unless maybe you have 1000 things installed or a highly configured machine. whenever i have had windows errors, just reinstalling and copying my data back has been the fastest way to get back to work.

Reactions: darrell_17

darrell_17

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
consider reinstalling your os, boot up a linux live cd or something and copy all your drive files to one of your hdds and put a fresh windows. you might also want to try ntfs-fix or another linux tool to check the disk for errors. maybe you have bad sectors. in terms of time efficiency, reinstalling is the best way, unless maybe you have 1000 things installed or a highly configured machine. whenever i have had windows errors, just reinstalling and copying my data back has been the fastest way to get back to work.
Thanks for your suggestion, i think i am going to just reinstall windows, it's really is just annoying that i have to lose alot of my files, but it's better than having a non-functioning pc.

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
you wont lose any files ideally. borrow a friends pc and make a windows live os or linux live os on a usb. boot onto that, and copy your files over. then you can copy back to your fresh windows what you need, or just leave the files there for when you need to use them. you can also try running a disk check for bad sectors or filesystem errors while on a live os.

Solution
So, today i finally have the will to move my ssd's connection from the sata 2 i wrongfully plug in, to the sata 3 connection
What exactly was the purpose for moving drive from one sata port to another?
Btw - such change would require only setting appropriate boot order in bios afterwards.

Can you show screenshot with output from following commands?
diskpart
list disk
select dis 0
list partition
list volume

darrell_17

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
Am doing that right now, fortunately i have one of those cases that makes your ssd a portable ssd. Using my friend's laptop to move everything.

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
what do you mean portable ssd? i mean as long as you are getting it moved, youre doing alright. nothings worse than losing all your data. well maybe some things, but it still sucks

darrell_17

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
What exactly was the purpose for moving drive from one sata port to another?
Because it used to be plugged into a sata v.2 port, i have been wanting to switch it to the sata v.3 port.
Can you show screenshot with output from following commands?
diskpart
list disk
select dis 0
list partition
list volume
Will do after i finish moving my files.

Here it is
Ok. So these commands should fix bootloader issues
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
active
exit
bcdboot d:\windows /s c:

But if you moved drive from SATA II port to SATA III port, then SATA III might be on a different sata controller and require different drivers. If those drivers are not installed, then windows will not boot.
What is the motherboard model name?

Also - you can not boot into windows, if your SSD is connected via USB.

darrell_17

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
Ok. So these commands should fix bootloader issues
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
active
exit
bcdboot d:\windows /s c:

But if you moved drive from SATA II port to SATA III port, then SATA III might be on a different sata controller and require different drivers. If those drivers are not installed, then windows will not boot.
What is the motherboard model name?

Also - you can not boot into windows, if your SSD is connected via USB.
It went well during all the commands until the very last part, in which i got an error saying "Failure when attempting to copy boot files". And yes, i know that i cant boot into windows if my SSD is connected through USB.

And my motherboard is an ASRock B75M-GL