Question Windows cannot find my drives when moving to new rig.

Stianh2206

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014
I just upgraded my old rig with a new MB and CPU. MB is TUF b760m plus d4 and CPU is a 14600kf. I just transferred my old storage devices to the new mobo. I thought maybe I could just swap MB and CPU and just boot into windows 11 that was already installed from before on my storage devices, that would be the easiest. But that didn't work cause my mobo found no bootable devices. So I created a bootable USB to do a fresh install of w11. When prompted to choose drives to install windows on, windows does not find any drives. I get this when choosing which drives to install windows 11 on:

*no drives were found. Click the load driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation.*

My connected drives:

* toshiba q300 SSD
* Kingston a1000m8480g
* Kingston snvs500g

When loading BIOS, first thing I see is:
**Storage Information:**
**RAID**
**TOSHIBA Q300. (**[**240.GB**](https://240.GB)**)**
**KINGSTON SA1000M8480G(480.1GB)**
**KINGSTON SNVS500G(500.1GB)**

So they are there, however the boot list in the BIOS is empty and I cannot select any of them.
I suspect there is some setting I have to enable/disable in the BIOS to make them bootable? I have tried enabling "Launch CSM":
Boot device control: UEFI Only
Boot from newtowrk device: UEFI Only
Boot from storage device: UEFI Only
Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices: UEFI Only

I also tried to install the NVM drivers from the KINGSTON, but I haven't done this in years, so I don't really know where or what to download for this.

I don't care if I have to wipe the drives and install a fresh windows 11, or if I can somehow get the drives to boot from the already installed windows (this would be most preferable though)

Solution
Where in the bios is this setting? I only find «Map sata controller under VMD» & «SATA controllers» settings. They can only be toggled as enabled/disbled
Advanced/System Agent Configuration/VMD setup menu/VMD controller - set to disabled.

Check if all your drives are detected in BIOS
Sata drives in
Advanced/PCH Storage Configuration​
NVME drives in
Advanced/NVME controller and drive configuration/NVME configuration​
Where in the bios is this setting? I only find «Map sata controller under VMD» & «SATA controllers» settings. They can only be toggled as enabled/disbled
Advanced/System Agent Configuration/VMD setup menu/VMD controller - set to disabled.

Sata drives in
NVME drives in

Solution
Here - turn Intel Rapid Storage Technology - OFF.

EZ-mode.webp

Stianh2206

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014

Sata drives in
NVME drives in
Currently disconnected all except 1 nvme drive. Set VMD controller to disabled. Checked if nvme is visible in NVME configuration. It is.

Its called Advanced/NVMe controller and drive information/NVMe configuration on my mobo, but yeh it is detected there. I think this might have done the trick. Windows install now shows A list of available install devices. Will check out more tomorrow though, will all disks connected.

Stianh2206

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014
Thank you SkyNetRising. Changing these settings:
Then my drives were detected as NVMe and AHCI, not as RAID setup.