windows can't be installed on this drive

football52

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
I already downloaded the OS onto my ssd, I shut down my computer and it takes me straight to the bios again. So I put the disk back in and it takes me back through the installation process again. I get to where I want to install my os and it says "drive 0 partition 1 209.6/232.9gb. Primary"

So I know the os installed, why is it not working?

I thought it might be the boot order in my bios but my ssd does not show up in my boot devices but shows in my data drives.

Solution
I think I figured out the issue. I was reading a manual for a motherboard today, and something caught my eye.

ASMedia storage controller can only support AHCI mode.
These SATA ports are for data drives only.

I think you plugged your drive into a controller that doesn't support booting. Try changing to the other SATA ports.

SuperSVGA

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
A couple possibilities come to mind. Maybe it could have done a UEFI install on a non UEFI board.

I need a few more details. What is the reason the installer says it can't be installed on that drive? What motherboard do you have? Is this a new build or was it previously working?

football52

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
It says that "windows cannot be installed on drive 0 partition 1"

I have a z97a uefi board

This is a brand new build

My ssd does not show up in the boot order so I cant make it the first in the boot order, I made sure all is plugged in but its weird cause it shows up in other areas of the bios but not the boot order. This is the order I have the sata cables plugged in

sata 1 - ssd
sata 2 - hhd
sata 3 - hhd
sata 4 - optical drive

SuperSVGA

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
I don't have the complete model of your motherboard so I can't get specific details.
Sometimes disks show in a different area if an EFI boot file is detected. If you press the key to access the boot menu when you start it up is it listed?

What do you have the SATA controller set to (IDE, AHCI, RAID, etc.)? Do you have secure boot enabled (if applicable)? Maybe try deleting that partition and reinstalling Windows. Maybe even try wiping the drive and see if it shows up.

football52

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
No the hard drives were not listed. What I have done so far is I reset the bios and deleted that partition. I completely reset everything. I didn't mess with the bios yet I just went and downloaded the os and now I'm installing motherboard drivers. Then I will try to setup raid. So far so good but I'll let you know in a minute

SuperSVGA

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
I think I figured out the issue. I was reading a manual for a motherboard today, and something caught my eye.

ASMedia storage controller can only support AHCI mode.
These SATA ports are for data drives only.

I think you plugged your drive into a controller that doesn't support booting. Try changing to the other SATA ports.

Solution