Windows clock reset while powered on

questionslol

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hey there folks!

Just last night i noticed some strange behaviors in my system clock which is leading me to believe that my issue is not the cmos bat.

My system specs are:

evga superova g2 750 watt gold 80+

intel core i7 4790k @4 ghz (not oc'd)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

gigabyte z97x gaming 7 mobo

8gb (2x4gb) crucial ballistix sport ddr3 1600 mhz

gigabyte gtx 970 windforce

toshiba ssd 128 gb (boot)

intel 530 series ssd 500gb (storage)

zalman z11 plus case

I have not had any issues with windows or booting up until last night. I was playing a game that i kept disconnecting from because it couldn't verify a particular certificate. Upon research, i found that this was likely due to the system time being reset or incorrect.

I noticed that my system date/time display showed a date of 1/1/1899. I tried to reset the time manually in windows several times and it kept defaulting back to that same date, and was preventing google chrome from working.

I checked the time zone. It was correct and in no need of tweaking. At that point i rebooted to get into bios to see if the issue was there. The time displayed there was fine. Once i booted back into windows, I noticed that some of the icons in my expoer bar tray were unaccessible. The programs were running, but i couldn't even right-click them to access ( tried running windows security essentials and opening malwarebytes as well). even my network icon was missing, yet the ability to access the net was there (provided the clock was set right) If i would run any windows explorer applications, i would get a message that explorer had stopped working and needed to recover. And seeing as the time kept reseting within windows itself without cutting power, this is why i dont think my issues is cmos/bios related.

-I ran security scans and my computer came up clean. I'm also very careful about my browsing habits online and mostly just use my cpu for gaming anyway, so i doubt this is virus/malware related.

-I reset the time in windows once again, completely shut my computer down over night and the clock was fine when i booted this morning.

-Checked system drivers to make sure everything was up to date. Everything was fine.

I guess my questions are:

1) Do i actually need a new cmos battery? Given the circumstances i dont think it's the case, but i can be wrong.

2) Did something corrupt my windows install, and should i just try a fresh reinstall?

3) Is this more hardware related?

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

-Sean

questionslol

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
So after i went out on a limb and said it's not the cmos bat, i'm actually thinking it is now. I checked the voltages with hwmonitor and the vbat reading is only showing 1.5v, which is low apparently.

This leads me to my next question, are cmos bats brand specific or will any cr 2032 be okay?