Windows computer keeps freezing

TMtrue

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Hello, everyone. I seem to be having an issue with my computer. My computer keeps locking up (can't move mouse or press Ctrl+Alt+Del) after about 5 minutes and my hard drive light ends up as a solid red then just stops. The issue started when I started when I left my computer on for New Year's. I went back after and shut it off after my game crashed and when I logged back into Windows the issue popped up.

My specs are:
Mobo: MSI Gaming H170A
Processor: Intel i7-6700
CPU Fan: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
RAM: 1x Kingston 8gb DDR4 2133
G-Card: MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
HDD: 1TB Barracuda 7200 RPM (Reused from another build)
PSU: APEX 600W (Reused from another build)

Another issue which might be related is my graphics card. I've noticed that it starts overheating while idling and can get up to about 60°. I set the fans for 100% and it cooled down quickly. This allowed me more time then usual. However even when the card was cool (about 30°) my computer kept freezing up

Any help is appreciated.

TMtrue

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Sorry it took so long to respond. So, I ended up getting an SSD from my laptop and checking the hard drive from there. When I started it up, the computer froze on me again. I don't think it's the hard drive.

I spoke with my friend and he said it might be that my RAM is shot. Is this a possibility?

TMtrue

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Update: I'm running the ssd with a fresh install of Windows. I threw in my mobo drivers disk and started installing. I pulled up a game of solitaire and it froze before it could finish installing one driver. Pulled the side off my computer and felt the g card (was overheating again) and I left the side panel off. Currently installing drivers again and having no issue (not playing this time)

I looked at another post I found and it's pretty much you're exact same issue I have. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a new psu and try that out (like the other thread mentioned) I'll keep you updated.

Edit: just as I finish installing the last set of drivers, the computer froze (lucky me)

Currently restarting and going to be installing g card drivers from the disk

Edit2: Just got a BSOD. Maybe this can tell you something?
rG75MpV.jpg

Well, you could try running Memtest. That will tell you if your RAM is bad, at least. RAM would be the next thing to check, if it is still having issues and the RAM is fine something is going on with the motherboard. Or maybe the GPU. But probably the motherboard.

TMtrue

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
So, I just ran a memtest and it came up all clear. So, I guess it's not that?

I also updated my BIOS and that didn't help.

Right now I pulled out the Graphics card and I'm running it without one. It seems to be working fine. If it ends up freezing I'll let you know, but I've been running it for a good half an hour by now.

Maybe the powersupply isn't putting enough out? It's fairly old at this point and I got it from a friend on short notice. I looked at my BIOS and it showed me the 12v part is almost maxed out on it. I ordered a new power supply and 2 extra sticks of the same RAM (Was planning on getting this stuff anyway). The RAM comes in tomorrow and the PSU comes in the day after.

I guess if it's not the G card (which it looks like it is at this point), I should just keep testing each part? All that's left is the PSU, the processor (Which I'm hoping it's not because I don't know where my micro center receipt is), and my mobo.

Edit: And it froze again. I'm at a loss right now.I guess I should wait for my new power supply to come in?

TMtrue

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
So, my power supply came in today. Turns out my old one was on its last life. Installed my new one and everything seems to be working perfectly. Thanks for all of your help.