Question Windows Crash With GPU

Apr 28, 2021
PC Specs-

Processor: i5-3570 @3.40GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 770
Ram: 16GB (DDR3)

So recently I was playing a game as usual, there were no signs of low performance or stuttered performance. In the middle of me playing, my screen turned into this orange/brown-ish color and stayed that way for several minutes. At that moment all I could do was restart my PC, which I did. When I restarted it, windows would seem like it was booting up with the "Asus Inspiring Innovation" screen. But after like 7 seconds, the screen disappeared and the monitor went black. The monitor still had a signal from the pc, but windows crashed on a black screen. So after that, I removed my GPU and plugged my HDMI into my motherboard with integrated graphics, and windows will load with no problem, other than the terrible performance. Hopefully this is enough information, and I'll be happy to hear any solutions, thank you!

Apr 28, 2021
I unfortunately do not have another PC to test the GPU in.

My power supply is a Seasonic SS-620GM. It's a prebuilt PC and I've had this for about 3 years now and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened.

And also my Motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-M

This>>>"my screen turned into this orange/brown-ish color "
is what makes me think the GPU may have failed.

I've seen similar things when I've had GPUs fail...maybe not that exact color....but similar things.

I had an RTX 2080 Ti go to a green screen when it failed.

Apr 28, 2021
No it doesnt and I should also mention that this "orange/brown screen" scenario happened yesterday night. So I don't think it would smell funny over the course of a few hours. I could take it apart and see what it looks like without the cooling case and stuff if that will help?

Actually...the burnt smell stays around pretty good.

...and being it doesn't smell...I would really try to run it in another machine.

...and I realize you don't have another machine to try it in.

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers....but I don't think it's the drivers.

I wouldn't take it apart. I don't see a point....at least right now.

...and if you had a crappy PSU...I'd suspect that...and it's still possible it's that...but a 3 year old Seasonic I would think is still most likely good.

Apr 28, 2021
When I try to plug the GPU back into the motherboard, windows will freeze on the first boot. On the second try it will go into the auto repair screen. I've tried just about everything there except resetting the pc and stuff, and I won't do that because that's clearly not the problem. So now I'm stuck with the integrated graphics.

Apr 28, 2021
UPDATE: I plugged my GPU into the SECOND PCIe Slot and the GPU worked for a few seconds! Windows loaded and I was able to sign into my computer and load my browser. Unfortunately, after about 20 seconds the screen went black again and I was not able to restart the PC with the GPU installed.