Windows Crashing, even after fresh install

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Hey Guys,

So recently my computer has been crashing. Basically what happens is an application will suddenly stop responding when I'm using it, and eventually the computer will get to the windows 8 BSoD, with an error message of "critical process died".

So I tried reinstalling windows. About 5 minutes in my new installation, it did it again. So obviously im thinking it's a hardware issue.

However, I have ran memtest for 8 hours with 0 errors. (I did standard config on that, wasn't sure if I should tweak anything)

I thought it was my SSD so I've downloaded a few health checking applications and they all seem to think it's healthy, these could be wrong though I imagine?

What else could it be?

My Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965
Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe SSD - 40GB (Boot drive)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4x4GB)
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G

Might be too much information, but I'm getting frustrated at this point.

Thanks!

Solution
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M4A88T-V+EVO%2fUSB3&p=1&s=24 -----
Go to this website choose OS
The most recent BIOS update for your ASUS board will be located at the top of the page. Download it. After downloading it, un-zip .

Also, you will have to already have installed ASUS Update to do this

1. Open ASUS Update
2. In that you will see the drop down box list of your choices. Choose "Update BIOS from a file". After you click that, open the file location.
3. After this is done, it is going to pull up any .ami files that may be on your location. Unless you have downloaded other BIOS files, there should only be one, click it.
4. It will bring you to the final screen. From here, it's very simple. Click "Flash"...

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

I can't seem to find any dump files. I noticed in eventviewer it says crash dump initialization failed.

Somebody told me to try using BlueScreenViewer, and that can't seem to find any dmp files either.

Rams Anirudh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Blue screen can occur due to software or hardware, to narrow down issue is very difficult. Make sure you have the latest updates installed on your computer. Also remove GPU and connect monitor to mobo and start computer. Run for sometime check if you get BSOD again

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

I've tried that, and my computer just simply isn't dumping anything. I think the process that's crashing is just completely wiping out the possibility of it dumping.

I will try a stress test.

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Stupid question, but how exactly do I update my bios? I've tried using the ASUS application to flash my bios but an error message shows up saying "This app won't run on your PC."

minerva330

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Sounds like you have to do it manually, there are a bunch of guides but the short of it is:

Create a MS-DOS flash drive (use this software to format if you dont have any)

Add all files without folder directly to the root of the flash-drive.

Remove old BIOS/HDD Passwords, disable UEFI and Intel Anti-Theft Technology

During boot press “F7″ to select the flash drive.

Rams Anirudh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M4A88T-V+EVO%2fUSB3&p=1&s=24 -----
Go to this website choose OS
The most recent BIOS update for your ASUS board will be located at the top of the page. Download it. After downloading it, un-zip .

Also, you will have to already have installed ASUS Update to do this

1. Open ASUS Update
2. In that you will see the drop down box list of your choices. Choose "Update BIOS from a file". After you click that, open the file location.
3. After this is done, it is going to pull up any .ami files that may be on your location. Unless you have downloaded other BIOS files, there should only be one, click it.
4. It will bring you to the final screen. From here, it's very simple. Click "Flash" and once it is done restart computer, and your BIOS should be updated

Took a long time to type this zzz

Solution
nooo nooo nooo download the file to a flash drive and extract it, reboot into the bios and run the flash utilityin there, your bios should have the tool in the last tab. flashing from the OS is never a good idea and i've seen people have plenty of issues which end up being solved by doing it through the bios

Rams Anirudh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

I have done it for my friend it had no problem :??: , but yes booting and doing is also a good choice.

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Alright guys, I updated the Bios to no avail.

However, I stress tested my CPU and within 15 minutes it went from 30C idle to like 75C. Is that normal??

I came back later today, tried to stress test it again and my computers displays all went black within 30 seconds, they didn't say no signal, just a black screen.

So I tried unplugging my video card, and using onboard graphics and so far everything seems to be working. It's been an hour and I am again stress testing my CPU to see if it crashes on me.

Does this confirm it's my video card or could it still be something else? I'd rather know 100% before I order anything new.

minerva330

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
What stress test did you use?

Your at the max temps for your CPU. Thats where the problem is, your CPU Your not over clocked right?

You could try reapplying thermal grease or undervolting/underclocking but that won't solve the problem just delay the inevitable.

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Im using OCCT software.

And no it's not overclocked, all the bios settings are at it's default. I have seen that it normally idles at 30C-40C and my computer has crashed plenty of times with it at idle temperature though, which is why Im doubting myself that it's the overheated CPU.

minerva330

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
If your CPU overheats it will shut-down to protect itself. OCCT tests both the GPU and CPU so it hard to differentiate the issue, whether it is CPU or GPU related. If you want to complete rule out the CPU you may have to run A CPU specific test, e.g., prime 95 or x264.

Have your tried running your system without a graphic card, just to see if you have increased stability?

if it it runs fine without the dedicated graphics something on the video card is messed up, I know if your gpu over heats etc it will shut down and cause the same issue, maybe the heatsink is loose on the card.

I doubt the cpu is shutting off unless temps are reaching close to 100c, I have ran mine over 70c at one point, if hes running the stock setting it would be throttling to cool it down.

if the screen just is going blank and the system is still running and fans are spinning its not the cpu, if it was cpu it would shut off completely if the temps are going super high atleast

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

I tried running without my video card last night, and it crashed this morning.

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Are you sure it's a GPU issue? I took out my video card and went on integrated graphics and it still crashed.

I noticed that my temps seemed to be above the 71C from that max temp you posted, so I'm definitely going to try to see what the issue is there. I have quite a few fans so I don't see how it could be getting that hot that fast, maybe I should reseat my cpu and put more paste under it?

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Paste is about a year and half old, I don't know if that's old for paste or not.

And no I'm still running windows 8.

codersanchez

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Alright so I reseated my cpu, put some new paste in there.

Also I turned off GPU Booster in my bios, as I've read that can cause crashes, it was on by default.

I also didn't realize my bios default overclock so I turned that off. Now my CPU runs at around 50-55C when I stress test it.

My computer ran overnight without crashing, the only thing is when I came back to it this morning Windows was saying I had to repair my drive.

I don't understand how it could be my drive since I ran it on a linux livecd and it crashed on that.