[SOLVED] Windows Defender for 11 or 3rd party antivirus?

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
So I have been a pc 'power user" for several years now. I don't ever hit up dodgy sites or open e-mail phishing scams (learned the hardway what to watch out for several years ago).

I have Windows 11 now and have been using Maleware Bytes Free in tandem with Bitdefender free for the last couple years, I just received an e-mail from Bitdefender this morning that they will be cutting their free edition in January, and will no longer offer any free versions. Is anything past Windows Defender needed these days? And if it's still recommended to use another Anti-Virus software (paid or free) what would you all recommend?

Solution
I suppose it depends on the sophistication level of your customers.

If they are semi-literate on PCs and express interest in stuff like backups, malware, and best maintenance practices generally......maybe you add on the free Malwarebytes AFTER telling them it is a removal application ONLY, not a preventer. Maybe tell them to run it weekly or monthly in case something has slipped by Windows?

If your customers are ma and pa who think anti-virus is uncle-virus's wife, maybe you don't mention Malwarebytes at all and just let them roll with the Windows product.
Standard advice is Windows built in antivirus and then possibly something like Malwarebytes free or paid for a second layer.

Plenty of people have good results with nothing but Windows own antivirus.

I use Windows product plus paid Malwarebytes, but if I did not already have a lifetime Malwarebytes license, I likely wouldn't pay for it today.

Not sure, but I'd guess the percentage of users who pay for antivirus may be declining.

Everyone is subject to marketing claims, anti-virus "reviews", and their own personal experience.

Reactions: liberty610

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I am not so much worried about myself. I am pretty savy with Windows overall and know what NOT to do in most cases, but I am a system builder and for others that do not know as much, I want to make sure I have options for them. And with how fast everything changes these days in the tech world, I try and stay up on this stuff as best as I can.

I suppose it depends on the sophistication level of your customers.

If they are semi-literate on PCs and express interest in stuff like backups, malware, and best maintenance practices generally......maybe you add on the free Malwarebytes AFTER telling them it is a removal application ONLY, not a preventer. Maybe tell them to run it weekly or monthly in case something has slipped by Windows?

If your customers are ma and pa who think anti-virus is uncle-virus's wife, maybe you don't mention Malwarebytes at all and just let them roll with the Windows product.

Solution