[SOLVED] Windows Defender Offline virus check not complete

k_graham

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
Windows 10 on a computer has the virus PVA-win32/4shared . I found it by doing a Thorough Windows Defender virus check, it was missed by quick checks, also missed by Eset on line check via browser. I tried a Windows 10 offline virus check and it only checks some areas but not entire drive. Virus shows up again doing a Thorough check.

I also tried creating a USB boot disk with Yumi multi boot and then adding a number of antivirus ISO's. Some like Eset appear outdated and not workable with a UEFI Windows 10 system. The one labeled Antivirus Live on Yumi and that uses Clam Antivirus loads and runs but appears to have an issue to get the current updates, I will be looking further into that one.

What I would like to know is if there is a way to get Windows Defender Offline virus check to do a Thorough check instead of a quick check. I think that is the solution that Microsoft should offer.

Solution
Have you used malwarebytes before. The reason I ask this is because you may not be fully aware of how Malwarebytes works. Infections of any kind can be made up of many segments , if you clicked on anything it found before quarantining and deleting you might have seen it say something like joe bloggs pup 5 , this means that joe bloggs pup is made up of 5 segments.

This is the important bit.... Malwarebytes is one of the best programs around but it cant always get rid of all segments of something on the first scan/quarantine/delete. You must do repeated scans till it finds nothing.

Also try adwcleaner by the same company

Finally , have you been doing any downloading you could have got something you don't know about if you did not...

k_graham

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
No, I was saying the Windows Defender Offline scan is effectively a Quick Scan as it only scans a limited portion of drive and was not successful at removing PVA-Win32/4 shared, I also did the Windows Defender Full Scan immediately after and it was not successful, as a subsequent full scan showed the item again.

I did finally clear it, you can click on the item for more information, this is how I got the name, also the locations it was located. By selectively copying the location to explorer I was then able to delete an unneeded directory it was in and it with it. It was also in location listed as temporary and I also deleted that. (before doing these deletes I made sure that deletions were not sent to garbage but were actually deleted. )

I will also try the one listed here , there is mention of offline installer here but it uppears to download the regular Malwarebytes https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253931-offline-installer/ so that info appears wrong.

Thanks anyway, and if you have information on a Offline method I would appreciate for future.

Have you used malwarebytes before. The reason I ask this is because you may not be fully aware of how Malwarebytes works. Infections of any kind can be made up of many segments , if you clicked on anything it found before quarantining and deleting you might have seen it say something like joe bloggs pup 5 , this means that joe bloggs pup is made up of 5 segments.

This is the important bit.... Malwarebytes is one of the best programs around but it cant always get rid of all segments of something on the first scan/quarantine/delete. You must do repeated scans till it finds nothing.

Also try adwcleaner by the same company

Finally , have you been doing any downloading you could have got something you don't know about if you did not scroll down the terms and conditions , its an old trick , companies know people are lazy ( no offence ) so if you had gone to the end of terms and conditions you might have seen some boxes to UNTICK so that you don't get say another browser or a free trial anti virus.

Study your browsers for add ins and extensions you don't recognise and also look in add/remove for items you don't recognise.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS