Question Windows Defender quickscan shortcut

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019

frusubilam

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2015
Well, you can still do it using the version with the MpCmdRun.exe
I thought I followed the instructions correctly there, created the shortcut and enabled Run as administrator,

http://i64.tinypic.com/2up7nlk.png

but this is what happened.

1. I get a UAC prompt, which kinda defeats the purpose of the "one click" thing.
  2. Next, I get what I suppose is a command prompt screen, which never changes...like it's stuck at "Scan Starting", but I do believe the scan is running, because the activity is reflected in my CPU monitor tool.
http://i68.tinypic.com/35lud0g.png

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You're not doing anything wrong.

You are going to get UAC for this, period. If you want true "one click" it just ain't gonna happen.

It can take anywhere between 15 minutes and half an hour for your average "Quick Scan" to complete, as it's given low priority and anything and everything else you're doing in the foreground will get priority.

The output, if you're doing it in a full screen is "Scan starting. . ." followed by "Scan finished" and the window will not close.

For myself, I created a batch file (QS_Script.bat) and placed it in my C:\TEMP folder. It's a one-liner that contains:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 1 > C:\TEMP\QSLog.txt 2>&1

[All of the above is on one line].

I create a desktop shortcut that has C:\TEMP\QS_Script.bat as the target and that runs minimized. You still get the UAC prompt, but the minimized command prompt window closes itself if you don't maximize it, so you can tell the scan is done when it disappears from your taskbar. If you feel the need, you can also check QSLog.txt to see if there were any errors or if anything happened to be found.

By the way, the log file will show as being zero sized until the process finishes if the only content is the start/finished messages, as the start message stays buffered until the final write for the finished message.

I ran lots of experiments last night. I doubt my machine has had that many Quick Scans in rapid succession ever!

frusubilam

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2015
I ran lots of experiments last night. I doubt my machine has had that many Quick Scans in rapid succession ever!
I can imagine. Sounds familiar :)

I appreciate all the effort.

Why do you think they would eliminate this option in 1903?

I was thinking of adding a scheduled task shorcut to eliminate the UAC, but couldn't figure out to do it.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have no idea why Microsoft does anything.

I can say, though, being involved in assistive technology, that they do take input from the Feedback Hub seriously (whether you get the result you wanted or not).

If there was a way you could easily do this prior to 1903 that's been removed from the standard Win10 UI, definitely submit a report via the Feedback Hub complaining about same. Others may already have done so, and if you find that's the case upvote their input and, possibly, comment on it.