Windows Defender To Remove Coercive 'Cleaner' Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Too late? The Windows ecosystem isn't dead. They are in fact late to the party and they haven't had the greatest reputation, but still. Don't write off their positive efforts until it's a proven negative impact.

If they aren't conniving to mess customers over, this looks to be a step in the right direction for Microsoft. Remember that they aren't making any profit off of Windows Defender so they have no reason to retaliate against legitimate software.

Oldtreker

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
It isn't a bad Idea although I'm not sure they can legally remove software without the owners permission even if its junk. Another scam is your driver's are out of date.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
CCleaner, Tuneup Utilities and other System optimizer apps for Windows will have to do a bit better this time around, that is... on their next version after this announcement for Windows defender, and if they cant keep up or got flagged well,.. I guess that's one big problem for the developers of these system optimizers, either they sue Microsoft for illegal business practices or for any anti competitive issues or release a better version of their apps where users specially those who arent savvy can truly benefit from their products.

Hal-Jordan

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
That sounds excellent. I've been using Windows Defender for many years and more recently, Malwarebytes. That and not taking risks has kept my system virus free for many years. Thank you, Microsoft.

Of course they can legally remove software. That's what anti-malware utilities do. If software is using deceptive tactics to trick people into thinking they have to pay money for something they don't actually need, then it can be classified as malware.

MS defender doesn't REMOVE programs without asking, its a setting you set in the program. just like any virus it finds, the program asks you what do you want me to do with it. of course if you set it to decide (which I would never do, as it sees auslogics hard drive defragger as a malware) to let it make it own decision, may I suggest you tell it to stick it in a sandbox and not delete it automatically.. I have seen O/S get messed up that way.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Yep sounds good in theory & I hope it works well and helps people. I am fine with it as long as MS does not take it a step to far and start uninstalling programs that we actually installed and know to be safe to use such as ccleaner etc. If they stay within their bounds then it is fine but what I have seen of how they have made their Windows update get more & more aggressive in each new version of Windows 10 I have little faith that they will stay in their boundaries with this and as time passes they will get a bit more brave and start removing competing products from everyone's system.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
That's a good idea long in coming. Can't even count all the people I've known that fell for all that scare tactic stuff.
In the beginning the internet was fun (still is really) but at the start it was all about sharing an finding out and that sort of thing...now it's a playground for scam artist.....AND ADVERTISERS....grrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.