Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Hello,

I just bought a brand new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64

I installed the 64-bit version on my Toshiba satellite l555d-s7005

I think I made a mistake in installing IObit Malware fighter which I have uninstalled.

I searched for anything to turn windows defender on, I edited the registry and added a key "windows defender/AntiSpyWare set to 0"

No luck, next I edited the group policies gpedit.msc enabling the first three and disabling the last 4

1: turn on definition updates enabled
2: turn on definition updates enabled
3: check for new signatures before scheduled scans enabled
4: turn off windows defender disabled
5: turn off real-time monitoring disabled
6: turn off taking action disabled
7: configure Microsoft spynet reporting disabled.

When I launch windows defender a screen comes up with "home" "scan" "history" "tools" "help"

Home seems active as does help, but scan history and tools are greyed out and will not do anything

I know windows defender will work and do updates as I had previously installed a Brand New Windows 7 32 bit on another computer and windows defender works fine, can download definitions and scan.

One more detail I plugged in the coa that I got with this new software while doing the install as it asked for it, but I have not yet activated it, as it has not asked to do so and I was trying to get it like I want it first.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Windows 7 is unsupported and not really sure why one would choose to purchase it considering that (pretty much) anything that would work on 7 would work on W10.

According to various searches Windows Defender (W7) was superseded by Microsoft Security Essentials which was in turn discontinued as a download for W7 at the EOL (Jan 14 2020) and according to those same seaches is not available for download or undate on "new" installs any longer. According to said, systems that were active prior to that date are still receiving signature updates. Even MS themselves are recommending updating to W10 at this point.

What is Microsoft Security Essentials?

I would check to see if the "free" update to 10 still works, which I doubt, and get this machine on a modern OS or Linux build.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I bought windows 7 because Microsoft is getting way out of hand with their security measures, already got a peek at windblows 11 and hated it, because as par for the course they changed many things, but that is their standard MO when they come out with a new OS change and hide everything because the software writers need something to do.

Back in dos 5.0, 6.0 6.22, win 95, win 98 and win XP setting up a home network between your computers was not a hard chore, If I want my 4 computers to talk to each other on a wireless or ethernet network, I am gonna have to get Geek squad to do it and shell out money for what I once did myself.

so cry me a river about windows 7 being out of support, I will use what I have until, and microshaft won't be getting any of my money for windblows 11.

I also do not like the new Partition guid, I had an HP all in one, and the disk crashed, I wanted to format and install you guessed it windows 7, oh the pain, I had to edit stuff in the bios concerning that uefi garbage just to get the thing to boot then I had to convert the disk to MBR just so I could install windows 7, and There ya go all the stupid added security making it harder and harder for the end user to do what they want rather than cowing down to microshaft and what microshaft wants you to do.

Windows 11 with guid (uefi) is just more security layering making you do what they want rather than what you want,

I have a windows 10 laptop, the other one is an older model most stuff that works in windows 10 works just fine in windows 7

"The more they overtake the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain" Commander Scotty USS Enterprise.

Ill be using what I have, and if it becomes unusable, there is always e-bay and buying an older computer from a simpler time, and NO guid (uefi) I am old school.

Status
Not open for further replies.