Windows detecting & activating a non-existent monitor

Dec 31, 2018
I got a new Acer SB220Q monitor for x-mas, and I'm having an awful time.

Specs:
Ryzen 3 2200g APU
MSI B450M Pro-M2 motherboard

I plug the monitor into the HDMI port, device manager detects it, everything works fine. But after a little while, Windows randomly configures and activates another "Generic P2P Monitor", it shows in the device manager, and the screen flickers, the mouse moves to center screen, and I'm left helpless. It's like Windows detects a non-existent monitor and then starts cycling between them.

When I go to display settings (right click desktop>display settings), it's flashing between showing the "select and rearrange display" 2 monitors, to just showing settings for a single monitor. Again it seems like some sort of loop, where windows is detecting and then not detecting a 2nd monitor. I don't know.

I've tried uninstalling drivers, reinstalling drivers, disabling/uninstalling the 2nd generic p2p device. I've tried disabling windows from downloading new drivers. I went so far as to reinstall Windows, reset motherboard CMOS battery. I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: Monitor seems to work fine connected via VGA. So I guess it's a problem with HDMI port on motherboard?

Edit 2: I connected monitor with BOTH HDMI and VGA at same time. Computer shows 2 monitors, but no flashing or cursor movements or anything. No constant refreshing in the device manager. I can select the HDMI monitor and everything works fine. It's almost like Windows has to have something in the VGA port, otherwise it goes nuts. Is this fine, to have 2 ports to 1 monitor?

D

Deleted member 2121781

While this is unlikely to help, try using a different port (if possible) and try updating the bios. I had a similar issue on an old Sandy Bridge system, and a bios update fixed it, but I'm not sure if that is your issue.

Dec 31, 2018

I updated the BIOS about a month ago to the most recent version (7B84v23). I looked in the BIOS for any "switchable graphics" settings or anything that might be causing it, but couldn't find anything. Thanks though!

TRENDING THREADS