CPU: i7 8700k @3.7 base

RAM: 2x8g ddr4 3000mhz Team group t-force dark
+ 2x8 ddr4 2400mhz Team group Vulcan
OC stable at 2266mhz, post at 3000mhz no boot

MB: MSI gaming carbon pro z370

Drive M.2: ADATA sx8200 512g
Cooler: h100i corsair water cooler
GPU: MSI 1060 Armour 6g

Background: Part one - I got hold of a second RAM kit - Team Group Vuclan 2400. Its a little slower than my existing 16g of Team Group Dark Force 3000. so I clocked the Vulcan to match Dark @2266(post/boot fine). I then went ahead and upped the CPU to 4.2 every thing worked great(post/boot).

Part two - so I tried to push it some more. with the help of XMP boost got the ram to @3000mhz. upped the CPU to 5.0ghz. The machine booted once but after a restart got an error from windows boot manager saying new hardware detected! (id guess so, at near 50% increase) missing files and to reinstall or recover windows.

Part three - Returned to Bios, set Ram back to 2266 and cpu to 4.2, post, but no boot, same error.
returned CPU to base speed, post and booted into windows like nothing happened.

additional - I dont think windows is corrupt per say, because returning to default clock speeds allows windows to boot like normal.
price to performance is not an issue when the price factor is 0, so please dont tell me about how 16g @3000 is better than 32g @2400, 32 is needless i know, i know. price factor is 0. lets get it working for those performance points 100% hundo

going to OC again and get that error code and missing file name now brb to post it

Question: Is it normal to need to reinstall windows after such a "hardware" change"?
Because I cannot stability test, should i go ahead with the reinstall and hope for the best?
should i throw out all the RAM and the CPU and get an AMD? jks

Solution
yep, and speeds, it would have been nice if team group was team group lul

so @2400 works, that would be max speed on the slower sticks.

its bugging me cuz in bios i can get/see 3000, but then i get that error msg missing file.....if i can fix that we are golden

The main issue I can see with different sticks, is that you are going to have to find manually settings which both stick like when you overclock them. Basically if I was overclocking, I would buy one kit. If I just wanted to fill two dimm slots, then I would get a dual channel kit. If I wanted to fill all four slots I would get a quad channel kit.

That way the timings and voltages would be close.

With mixed RAM, the different sticks will have different max...
Feb 21, 2020
its def the RAM cuz im sitting pretty at 4.9 on the CPU

0xc0000221 header check sum for file not existing

x2 boot

missing windows/system32/drivers/adp80xx.sys

Feb 21, 2020
Try to fix corrupt files on your windows install first using system file checker.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Then reinstall your drivers.

You should use a windows install on a usb drive for overclocking and testing. Keep an image of it safe and then reimage the usb install as required.

trying this now. yep i got two copies of windows and a copy of linux on different USB sticks. Not a recovery tool, i suppose, is that what you mean?

zx128k

Reputable
trying this now. yep i got two copies of windows and a copy of linux on different USB sticks. Not a recovery tool, i suppose, is that what you mean?

Just do your overclocking using the memory sticks. I always corrupt the OS install when overclocking. Also corruption of data can cause windows to blue screen.

Having a usb stick with memtest on it is a must, booting into windows with a bad RAM overclock can corrupt a OS install quickly to the point you need to reset windows because you no long boot.

Reactions: nixxion44
Feb 21, 2020
Just do your overclocking using the memory sticks. I always corrupt the OS install when overclocking. Also corruption of data can cause windows to blue screen.

Having a usb stick with memtest on it is a must, booting into windows with a bad RAM overclock can corrupt a OS install quickly to the point you need to reset windows because you no long boot.

luckily when i bring the RAM speeds back down windows boots normal, so i havnt corrupted it....yet

Feb 21, 2020
ok updated windows duh, ran system file checker, got new error

windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe

something about missing kernel

booted @2400.

i can post at 3000 but no boot :(
will try memtest and second suggestion now and will update you guys soon thanks for all the help.

Feb 21, 2020
full name and model of both set of ram and see if you could memtest each ram modules starting with new ones .

first set

Manufacturer
Team Group
Series
Not determined
Part Number
TEAMGROUP-UD4-2400
Serial Number
0104A103h
JEDEC DIMM Label
8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2133P-UB0-10
Architecture
DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM
Speed Grade
DDR4-2133P downbin
Capacity
8 GB (8 components)
Organization
1024M x64 (1 rank)
Register Model
N/A
Manufacturing Date
March 5-9 / Week 10, 2018
Manufacturing Location
Taiwan
Revision / Raw Card
FF00h / B0 (8 layers)

DRAM COMPONENTS
Manufacturer
Hynix
Part Number
H5AN8G8NAFR-TFC
Package
Standard Monolithic 78-ball FBGA
Die Density / Count
8 Gb A-die (Deneb / 21 nm) / 1 die
Composition
1024Mb x8 (64Mb x8 x 16 banks)
Clock Frequency
1067 MHz (0.938 ns)
Minimum Timing Delays
15-15-15-36-50
Read Latencies Supported
19T, 18T, 16T, 15T, 14T, 13T, 12T...
Supply Voltage
1.20 V
XMP Certified
1200 MHz / 14-16-16-31-47 / 1.20 V
XMP Extreme
Not programmed
SPD Revision
1.0 / January 2014
XMP Revision
2.0 / December 2013

Feb 21, 2020
second set

MEMORY MODULE
Manufacturer
Team Group
Series
Not determined
Part Number
TEAMGROUP-UD4-2400
Serial Number
0104AB31h
JEDEC DIMM Label
8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2133P-UB0-10
Architecture
DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM
Speed Grade
DDR4-2133P downbin
Capacity
8 GB (8 components)
Organization
1024M x64 (1 rank)
Register Model
N/A
Manufacturing Date
September 18-22 / Week 38, 2017
Manufacturing Location
Taiwan
Revision / Raw Card
FF00h / B0 (8 layers)

DRAM COMPONENTS
Manufacturer
Micron Technology
Part Number
MT40A1G8??-093E:?
Package
Standard Monolithic 78-ball FBGA
Die Density / Count
8 Gb / 1 die
Composition
1024Mb x8 (64Mb x8 x 16 banks)
Clock Frequency
1067 MHz (0.938 ns)
Minimum Timing Delays
15-15-15-36-50
Read Latencies Supported
19T, 18T, 16T, 15T, 14T, 13T, 12T...
Supply Voltage
1.20 V
XMP Certified
1200 MHz / 14-16-16-31-47 / 1.20 V
XMP Extreme
Not programmed
SPD Revision
1.0 / January 2014
XMP Revision
2.0 / December 2013

Feb 21, 2020
Looks like one is Micron and the other Hynix. So looks like mixed sticks.

its bugging me cuz in bios i can get/see 3000, but then i get that error msg missing file.....if i can fix that we are golden

Feb 21, 2020
RAM has no errors. i think im down to this

What Causes the Ntoskrnl.exe Error?

1. Your device drivers are outdated, corrupt, or incompatible. This is why it is important to ensure you keep them regularly updated.
  2. Faulty RAM. Replacing the sticks should fix the issue.
  3. Your RAM and local storage may be inadequate in keeping up with the activities you carry out on your computer. This leads to frequent freezing, and subsequently to the Ntoskrnl.exe error.
  4. You overclocked your devices.
  5. Some of your system files are corrupt.

zx128k

Reputable

The main issue I can see with different sticks, is that you are going to have to find manually settings which both stick like when you overclock them. Basically if I was overclocking, I would buy one kit. If I just wanted to fill two dimm slots, then I would get a dual channel kit. If I wanted to fill all four slots I would get a quad channel kit.

That way the timings and voltages would be close.

With mixed RAM, the different sticks will have different max voltages and will overclock better in different ways. It could force you to manually find what works with both even at stock. jedec has very compatible timings wise but once you overclock it will take more work. All your settings will have to respect the limits of the two different sticks. Also you may find you can't overclock past some point but can with just 1 stick (the single stick can go higher with better timings). It can work but wont be as good as two matched pairs from the same manufacture. You might find you are okay at 2400 with the two sticks but not at the xmp settings for each stick. Its a crap shoot once you mix different brands of RAM which is way you should not do it.

I would run a full memtest with 4 passes after getting them to work. Takes a few hours to complete but I am paranoid about data corruption. You have got 16GB of RAM total which is fine total amount for AAA games.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 21, 2020
The main issue I can see with different sticks, is that you are going to have to find manually settings which both stick like when you overclock them. Basically...
everything you said makes sense and is pretty much what i have been experiencing.
I knew mixing ram would be tricky but did not realize TeamGroup is not the actual manufacture, not that it matters at this point. the one kit is just slower than the other.

so ill try and replace that missing file. maybe think about re-install windows. *but we dont really think that is the issue.

or start another build based on slow ram lul

zx128k

Reputable
everything you said makes sense and is pretty much what i have been experiencing.
I knew mixing ram would be tricky but did not realize TeamGroup is not the actual manufacture, not that it matters at this point. the one kit is just slower than the other.

so ill try and replace that missing file. maybe think about re-install windows. *but we dont really think that is the issue.

or start another build based on slow ram lul

Better the usb stick gets corrupted as you test to get your system stable than your more precious data on your ssd's and hard disks. You will have to get the system stable before you flash any BIOS roms.

Reactions: nixxion44