Question Windows Diagnostic detected a hard disk problem

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
I've been getting this message almost every hour, sometimes less since yesterday. It's a 3tb backup drive on my pc which I am now in the process of backing up.

My question, for anyone with knowledge or experience with this, does the frequency of the message indicate how severe the issue is or is this a normal reminder?

I'm backing up my files, I've noticed some folders, will transfer much slower than others, even small folders 6gb or so, will take 20 minutes or more going from 140Mb/s to around 10 or so Mb/s. I don't know if this is also an indication of anything, maybe these folders are corrupted or part of the damaged cluster or whatever on the drive. Others, seem to transfer more quickly although I've tried to keep the transfers smaller recently.

Any other things someone in this situation should look out for to try to test ?

The transfer speed may vary depending on what you are transferring, a large 2GB file can be transferred in less than 2 minutes while a 2GB folder with 10,000 small files can take several minutes.

What SMART fault are you receiving?

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
The transfer speed may vary depending on what you are transferring, a large 2GB file can be transferred in less than 2 minutes while a 2GB folder with 10,000 small files can take several minutes.

What SMART fault are you receiving?

Thanks. Folders with multiple files don't often take this long to transfer. I'm hoping it will hold out until I've backed up at least the important files. I'm currently transferring a 17g folder with about 20 files and it's slowed down to 3.7Mb/s stating it will take 23 hours....

I just get a message about how windows diagnostic detected a hard disk problem. At the bottom of this message it says ''The following hard disks are reporting a failure" and then shows the F: drive.

According to event viewer diagnostics has detected SMART fault on the disk but doesn't state anything other than suggesting a backup and not to store anything critical.

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
I've just checked on speccy, and I have a pending sector count warning and reallocated sector status is bad, so I'm pretty much <Mod Edit>. This was one of my active backup drives, but I've backed up 500gb or so. I did around 150gb since getting the warning yesterday but it's slowing down, single file transfers now slow down to as much as 400kb/s, so a single 2gb file takes quite a while to transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
Just in case anyone is still interested or encounters the same problem, my faulty disk is still running albeit performing very poorly. I was able to screenshot and back up most of my files within the first ten days. Some files took faster than others, probably depending on their location on the disk. I had individual files, 2-3gb that took several hours to transfer while I was lucky enough to be able to move a few large 10-20gb folders within just a few minutes. Some files cannot be read or transferred. I figure I've moved around 90% of my content so I'm just running the drive for a few more days to see what happens.