Windows doesn't recognize the onboard sound card on P35-DS3L

randomizer

Champion
Check and see if the device appears in the device manager, probably with an error regarding drivers. If it is there, use the driver update built into the device manager by going to the properties page of the device and then the driver tab and clicking a button that says something like "Update driver...". Let windows search the net for drivers. This was required to get an onboard audio chip to work on vista with my dads PC.

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
No sound. When I check the settings at "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Control panel everything is grayed out and I can't access anything to change the settings. Also in control panel I can't bring up "Realtek HD Audio Manager".

randomizer

Champion
Uninstall the drivers and then go to device manager and uninstall the device there, that should force windows to redetect it next time you boot up. It may or may not try and look for drivers, if it doesn't, do what I said above again. Btw, are you using vista or XP?

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
Silly question...
Have you configured which audio output you're using?

If you can't bring-up the HD Audio manager, it could be the driver is configured to use the front AC97 output.

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I tried to delete the drivers and device from device manager but it wouldn't let me saying that they were essential to boot the computer. So I tracked the drivers down and deleted them but still haven't figured out a way to delete the device in device manager.

How can I configure the audio output? Like I said when I check the settings at "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Control panel everything is grayed out and I can't access anything to change the settings.

Thanks for the help.

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
BTW I know this is not in the correct area but I put Doom 3 on and it wouldn't run it saying that my card and/or driver wasn't able to. I have an 8800 GTS and the latest drivers. I'm going to get ahold of the makers of Doom 3, send them the info and see what they say.

Mo computer mo problems...

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
The info you need is in the MoBo manual, towards the back in the section about installing and configuring the supplied device drivers.

Some device drivers need to be disabled (and maybe a reboot) before you can uninstall, trying to manually delete will cause more problems.

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I got sick of messing with it and just used the sound blaster card from my old computer. BTW after looking at the manual I realized I had indeed configured it even before I started this thread.

There is definitely something screwey here though because yet another game isn't working correctly and it's an old one (Neverwinter Nights). I'm wondering if it's hardware or software.

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
AFAIK I did yes. Of course now they are plugged into my working soundblaster card, but yes I believe I did. Not only that but from what I saw Gigabyte gave me the option of changing the designation of each jack from front, back and center speakers, unless I misunderstood it.

This build has not gone so smoothly.

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
OK update time:

The onboard audio is still not working but I was able to track down the problems regarding the games and it was not the board. Also, after spending some time with this board I actually like it a good deal despite the problem with the onboard audio. I had a Soundblaster card laying around so the audio problem was no biggie. Anyway, this board overclocks really well and has a lot of options in bios. The layout is smart for the most part and it's a great deal.

tlmck

Distinguished
Sorry to hear about the audio. It works just fine in Linux. You might have just "got a bad one", as they say.

You might double check chapter 5 of the manual(page 69) to insure you did indeed plug in the speakers correctly. I have just 2 plain old Logitech speakers and had to plug them into the lower left(gray) plug instead of the normal green one. The green on had sound, but it was real scratchy sounding.

I also figured out the hard way, that if you hook up the front panel audio wrong, it will disable all onboard audio. The stupid leads on my case were wrong, and it took forever to figure out.

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

That just might be it. I was thinking that was a possibility last time I was tinkering in there but didn't give it a shot. I don't even need a headphone jack on my PC since my speakers have one so I think I'll unhook it altogether and see what happens. Thanks.

G

I was too lazy to see if this was already posted. But I know that with the P35-DS3R board, you had to download a certain Windows Update BEFORE you installed the onboard sound drivers for them to work. Hope that helps, if it was already posted, my apologies.

blaze739

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
i'm having the same exact problem. when i first installed the drivers from the gigabyte cd, everything was fine. but i accidently clicked next when it said found new hardware and now it doesnt work. i tried to uninstall but it said i cant because its required to boot. im trying every driver and its not helping

atoparis

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
same problems here with the same mobo... no sound or anything

so did adding a sound card fix this? i have speakers on my monitor, and i plugged them in, and it just grays out the volume controls... also how did you go about overclocking this board, for some reason im not having any luck...

noiro

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Did you have any issues getting XP Pro to install with this MOBO? Did you use SATA drives? With only one IDE port, that forced me to use SATA drives and I can't get recognized so I can try to enjoy this MB.