Windows doesn't see HDD/SSD in DVD Ultrabay adapter

barbarian0101

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
Windows doesn't see HDD/SSD in DVD Ultrabay adapter

Hi!
Lately I'm having a big problem. I want to expand my laptop, therefore I've bought an adapter like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Ultrabay-Exchange-UltraBase-ThinkPad/dp/B001JIUGOW in order to place it with a HDD/SSD drive instead of the DVD, which I am not using anymore. Yet after placing it in the DVD bay the system does not see the drive. At the startup of Windows the control light on the adapter flashes once and that is it.
I have tried to look in BIOS, but in the boot menu the drive isn't visible.

Don't get the wrong idea, that I'm lazy or something. No. I've tried 3 different HDD drives and one SSD, yet the result was the same - not visible. Even tried different DVD adapters for the drive, and still nothing.
As for the hard drives I'm possitive, that they are working, because placing them in an external drive case they are all visible in BIOS and in Windows.

I have tried different scenarios, please take a look on them:

1)
- BIOS set to UEFI (Legacy first), AHCI mode on. Changing from Legacy to Compatiable also gives no effect
- DVD drive removed
- HDD (NTFS format) in the adapter placed in the DVD bay
Result: not visible in BIOS, boot menu. After booting the clean instalation of Windows 7/10 from USB i can't instal a new system, because there's no drive on the list. Clicking on this step for the driver instalation results in a cannot find any drivers error from the Windows instalation menu.

2) Main HDD is in place with the system and all of it's drivers. I've placed the 2nd HDD in the DVD adapter. Restart the system, and nothing. Windows doesn't see the 2nd drive. In the Device Menager no recognition of a new device, no yellow warnings with missing drivers. As for the computer management (Storage section) no new drive is recognized)

3) The same as number 2, but instead of HDD I've placed the SSD in the adapter. No result.

4) Placing any 2nd drive (HDD/SSD) in the main SATA dock, where I have my primary HDD with the system results in presenting the mounted drive. It's clean, but booting the Windows instalation from USB gives me the possibility to install a new system, because Windows instalation creator sees the drive.

And that's it. I have no ideas and going crazy questioning myself why isn't it working. Hope somebody had a simillar problem. Any kind of idea will be good, so please do not hestitate to answer. For that thank you in advance!

Specs:

- Laptop Lenovo T430 with Windows 7 (64-bit)

- 3 different 2,5" HDD drives
- 1 2,5" SSD drive
- HDD/DVD adapter for placing the drive in the DVD bay
- BIOS updated to the newsest version
- AHCI active
- UEFI Legacy etc. also
- HDD drives are NTFS type
- can't instal drivers from the Windows 7/10 instalation creator booted from the USB

Since you tried several drives with the adapter, seems the adapter does not work. If you look at what you got, I don't see any recent Lenovo T models listed as compatible 2nd Hard Disk Drive Adapter for Ultrabay Slim (HDD Exchange frame) for IBM Lenovo T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p, T60, T60p, T61, T61p, Z60t, Z61t, Z61p, X4 UltraBase, ThinkPad X4 Dock, X6 UltraBase, X6 UltraBase Tablet

Try another model that lists your laptop like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nimitz-Drive-Caddy-Lenovo-Thinkpad/dp/B00TIAU9JK/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TIAU9JK&pd_rd_r=8bc25dfc-f979-11e8-a063-b50b394c936e&pd_rd_w=FxSds&pd_rd_wg=PO6ET&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=6F51X1GYH8839V317TYP&psc=1&refRID=6F51X1GYH8839V317TYP

Sometimes the simplest solution needs to be looked at, as in "do I have the right part" LOL