[SOLVED] Windows/Drivers update causing boot issues

Jun 15, 2019
TL;DR - Updated my SATA/display drivers and Windows, now I need to use Windows boot manager (which takes 15 minutes and only works half the time) to start my computer.

I was having audio/USB issues the other day so I decided to update any drivers I could with a third party software called driver booster (bad idea, I know). Didn't think much of it at the time, but while I was at it I saw an option that said "clean unplugged device data" so I did that as well. I went to restart my computer, and noticed a mandatory Windows update with the restart. Restarted my computer, and it got stuck on an "ASROCK" loading screen, didn't even see a Windows update. Left it there for 7 hours and nothing had changed, so I restarted it a few more times.

After rebooting my computer, an error message popped up saying "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware change might be the cause... Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed." Restarted a few more times. If I booted off the Windows boot manager, the error message no longer popped up but I got stuck on the same loading screen. If I booted off the regular SSD, it says something like "reboot and select proper boot device... press a key" which didn't do anything.

From here I plugged in a flash drive with Windows 10 media creation tool, booted off of that, and a prompt popped up that asked if I wanted to upgrade/repair my windows. Said yes, and then restarted and booted off the Windows boot manager. After about 15 minutes on the loading screen, it finally boots up and works fine. But, every time I wanna shutdown/boot my computer, I have to repeat the process of repairing and waiting the 15 minutes. Usually it takes 20 seconds to fully boot up. Sadly, it makes it a lot more difficult to diagnose the issue since I had to update windows while rebooting. I also don't wanna have to reinstall windows fully to lose my apps/files.

The drivers I updated were Standard SATA AHCI Controllers and NVIDIA display drivers. I'm assuming maybe updating the SATA AHCI drivers messed with a setting somehow is causing boot issues with my SSD? The option to roll them back is grayed out, but after looking online I'm pretty sure I have the right ones.

Any help is greatly appreciated, really sorry if I was bad at explaining the issue because there's a lot going on. Thanks in advance!

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GPU
16GB Ram
1 TB SanDisk SSD (boot drive)
3 TB Western Digital Hard Drive

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019

This didn't seem to work either. I've tried nearly every option on the Windows Recovery Environment, including uninstalling the latest Windows update. I've noticed that I don't actually need the USB in order to get it booted. Half of the time, when booting from Windows Boot Manager, it takes about 10 minutes and starts, or gets stuck loading. Checked event log, didn't see any reoccurring errors aside from something about RtkAudio which I doubt is related. I think it might have something to do with the drivers I updated.