WIndows DSP vs Retail, which should I choose?

StargateSGA

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
Hello,
I am building a new gaming PC Build and I'm going to install windows 10 home 64 bit on it but I'm having trouble deciding which licese type I should choose. Retail or DSP?
I know what are the differences between them, what I don't know is which should I buy. In my country, DSP is about 27$/23€ cheaper than Retail(USB). I'm not planning to replace my motherboard in the future(unless it gets damaged/fried), but I might add more hard drives, upgrade my GPU and might perform a clean install after many years. I'm planning on using this PC for 5+ years.
What do you suggest I buy, retail or DSP?

P.S. For some reason, which I find odd, most stores in my country only sell the DSP version and only 1-2 stores that I could find also sell the retail version.

Thank you for your help in advance. :D

Solution

Yes, the Retail is pretty much not needed.
You can move a DSP/OEM license to new hardware.
The only time that fails is with a preinstalled Win 10 OEM from one of the major manufacturers. Like if you buy a laptop with Win 10...you can't move that license to new hardware.

A Win 10 OEM that you buy and install? No problem.

USAFRet

Titan
With Win 10, there is no real need for the Retail license.
All you lack is direct support from MS. And you can generally get better 'support' from online forums, like here.

Previous to Win 10, the Retail license gave you the option to move that license to new hardware.
With Win 10, that is no longer a consideration. You can move a DPS (OEM) license to new hardware. Usually.
Read more here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

StargateSGA

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Yes I know that. So perhaps I should choose retail to have peace of mind? Besides that retail is a little more expensive, one other thing that holds me back is that retail isn't immediately available, the store needs 8-14 work days to ship my order, while the DSP version is available within 1 work day. Is the wait worth for the retail version??
P.S. I don't order the retail version from microsoft because they only accept credit card.

USAFRet

Titan

What "support" might you need from Microsoft? About the only thing might be an activation issue, which they would handle either way.

Anything else ask the good people here.

StargateSGA

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

I thought that even with windows 10 retail, you can still move windows to a new hadware.
So if a link a microsoft account with my windows dsp license, it would be like having a retail license? So retail version is totally unnessary, if I understand correctly.

The online microsoft store accepts only credit card or paypal which I don't have and don't prefer. I found this store wihich also sells the retail version but what I find odd is that it sells it about 5$ cheaper than micrsoft its self. how is that possible?

Reepime

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I agree with USAFRet. Microsoft support (even paid support) is pretty poor. I work for a non-profit that was awarded a grant by Microsoft but I've been sitting and waiting for 2 weeks for them to fix the system so that I can log in to use the grant. As long as you get a license key and have a way to reach online forums, you're much more likely to get better and faster support from an online community than from Microsoft.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, the Retail is pretty much not needed.
You can move a DSP/OEM license to new hardware.
The only time that fails is with a preinstalled Win 10 OEM from one of the major manufacturers. Like if you buy a laptop with Win 10...you can't move that license to new hardware.

A Win 10 OEM that you buy and install? No problem.

Solution

Reepime

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

In all truth, the EULA you agree to when installing Windows states you cannot transfer the license key to another computer. it indicates the key is "attached" to the CPU (or motherboard..don't remember which) and that you can't even upgrade hardware unless there was a manufacturer's defect that caused the original hardware to fail. It's just with WIndows 10, the product key is literally attached to the motherboard and once you activate it, the activation system won't allow you to use it on another computer. Previous versions, all you had to do was install it and say it was the same computer.

StargateSGA

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
thank you very much for the help everyone!!!! I think will buy the Windows 10 DSP version since I can link the license with microsoft account and it's available to ship within 1-2 work days. Just one final question, what if I update the BIOS(ryzen motherboard, that's why)?? Will I still be able to reactivate?

USAFRet

Titan

As of the Win 10 Anniversary release (Aug 2016), you can link the digital entitlement (license key) to a Microsoft account, rather than to specific hardware.

See my links above.

Reepime

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

While yes, you can link it to a MIcrosoft Account, it's still linked to your hardware and even though it's linked to a Microsoft account which allows you to move it to new hardware, EULA still mandates that the move is to only be done if there is a hardware defect. Simply upgrading your system doesn't qualify for hardware transfer and according to EULA, you'd have to buy a new license key.

USAFRet

Titan

If it was in conflict with their own EULA, MS would not give you the function or directions to move that license to new hardware. Broken and replaced hardware, or simply a personal upgrade.

What you state was 100% true before the 1607 Win 10 release.
Things have changed.

EULA or not, you can do it, direct from Microsoft.

Reepime

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
The link you provided earlier tells you how, but it doesn't grant you permission to ignore the EULA that you agree to. That's the same as how you can rip open your brand new TV because there's a manual on how to do so, but you will void the warranty when you do so. And because a software company gives you instructions on how to install a program on numerous computers, doesn't mean you have the license or right to do so. Personally, I'd want to see the message direct from Microsoft that says I can ignore the EULA, otherwise, it's Piracy.

USAFRet

Titan

Wording specifically from Microsoft:
--------------------------------
Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard
----------------------------------
(emphasis mine)

It says nothing about how or why you replaced the motherboard.

Now...there is a specific condition where you are correct. That in the case of a Win 10 OEM preinstalled on a PC, from one off the major manufacturers.
That you cannot move to new hardware.

A Win 10 license (digital entitlement) that you buy and install? That works.

But obviously, only on one PC at a time.

Further reading:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change

If you made a significant hardware change to your device (such as replacing the motherboard), Windows 10 might no longer be activated and you might see the activation error codes 0x803f7001 or 0xC004C008. If you're running Windows 10, version 1607 or later, and added your Microsoft account and linked it to the digital license on your device, you can use the Activation troubleshooter to reactivate Windows. For more info, see Using the Activation troubleshooter.

-------------------------------------------------
Describe to me how that specifically says you cannot do it?
Rather...it specifically says you can do it.

Post the 1607 release, the OS license can be linked to you and your MS account, rather than to specific hardware.

Reepime

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

After reading through the December 2016 EULA for WIndows 10, we're both correct.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

According to it, if you buy a stand-alone (Retail) copy of the software (DPS doesn't count as stand-alone as it's intended to be distributed with a "White Box" computer), then you can transfer the license to another device you own or to another user (only if you were the first user of the license). So, if I were to buy the Retail version, I could install it on any of my own devices (only 1 at a time) and I could also install it on my mother's device. But, once it was installed on my mother's device, it could only be installed on my mother's devices as the license would have transferred once already. If I bought the DPS, OEM, or it came with my computer, it cannot be transferred to another computer (this includes swapping out hardware as that counts as changing devices.

==============================================================================

2. Installation and Use Rights.

a. License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation, you do not have a license to use the software.

b. Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.

c. Restrictions. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(i) use or virtualize features of the software separately;

(ii) publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software;

(iii) transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);

(iv) work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;

(v) use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

(vi) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software, or attempt to do so, except and only to the extent that the foregoing restriction is (a) permitted by applicable law; (b) permitted by licensing terms governing the use of open-source components that may be included with the software; or (c) required to debug changes to any libraries licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License which are included with and linked to by the software; and

(vii) when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner.

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.