Question Windows error "Not enough space on C:" ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Questions:
Partitioning scheme, MBR or GPT, how to tell which I have?
SATA or PCIe/NVMe, how to tell which I have

I plan to use Samsung Magician since it seems easier.
If I have SATA drives, it appears I need to swap cables. So I swap the C cables to the E? Powr up. Verify Boot order. If it all looks good, then connect C drive and wipe partitions.
Thank you.

Your traditional HDDs will be SATA.

I think the Samsung 860 EVO is SATA also. I think it is available in both 2.5 inch and M.2 form. Not sure which you have.

M.2 drives are typically the size of a stick of gum....much smaller. They connect to the motherboard directly and do NOT use cables at all.

You can use the Diskpart program to see if your drives are partitioned as GPT. Normally, that is what you'd prefer nowadays.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Questions:
Partitioning scheme, MBR or GPT, how to tell which I have?
SATA or PCIe/NVMe, how to tell which I have

I plan to use Samsung Magician since it seems easier.
If I have SATA drives, it appears I need to swap cables. So I swap the C cables to the E? Powr up. Verify Boot order. If it all looks good, then connect C drive and wipe partitions.
Thank you.
Your SSD is SATA, just like the other drives. Same connections.

For the cable, whatever data cable went to the original C drive, you then connect that to the Samsung SSD>
This is at the END of the process, when you disconnect the other old one.

Jul 10, 2024
Your SSD is SATA, just like the other drives. Same connections.

For the cable, whatever data cable went to the original C drive, you then connect that to the Samsung SSD>
This is at the END of the process, when you disconnect the other old one.
Question about the following:
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
Seems contradictory...disconnect all drives except C and new SSD. Power up. Then says verify system boots with ONLY the C: connected.

The original C: drive is a NVME (WD drive) therefore cannot disconnect this drive or attach cable to new C: (old E) drive. What are options here?
Based on this would Macruim Reflect be a better option?
Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
Question about the following:
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
Seems contradictory...disconnect all drives except C and new SSD. Power up. Then says verify system boots with ONLY the C: connected.

The original C: drive is a NVME (WD drive) therefore cannot disconnect this drive or attach cable to new C: (old E) drive. What are options here?
Based on this would Macruim Reflect be a better option?
Thanks.
The first part was assuming a new, blank drive.
You have verified that the system boots with ONLY the current C drive (the WD) connected?

The second part...no real difference. At the end of the process, power off, physically remove the original drive, the WD.
Power up with only the new drive (Samsung) connected.

Jul 10, 2024
The first part was assuming a new, blank drive.
You have verified that the system boots with ONLY the current C drive (the WD) connected?

The second part...no real difference. At the end of the process, power off, physically remove the original drive, the WD.
Power up with only the new drive (Samsung) connected.
Correct computer boots with only C drive connected.
OK, physically remove original C drive. Could I reinstall it or just remove it forever?
Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
Correct computer boots with only C drive connected.
OK, physically remove original C drive. Could I reinstall it or just remove it forever?
Thanks.
You can reinstall it later. Much later.
Later, because you need to verify the system actually works 100% from the new drive.

We've had multiple instances of people doing the clone process, then immediately wiping the old drive. Only to discover that the clone op did not go as expected, and now they have nothing to boot from.

And then wipe it clean. Commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.

Jul 10, 2024
You can reinstall it later. Much later.
Later, because you need to verify the system actually works 100% from the new drive.

We've had multiple instances of people doing the clone process, then immediately wiping the old drive. Only to discover that the clone op did not go as expected, and now they have nothing to boot from.

And then wipe it clean. Commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.
OK, thanks. will start the process now.

Aug 28, 2024
Could you please give me some advice? Disc C is clogged when starting games, after quitting the game the memory returns. What could be causing this? I have tried reinstalling Vindows, antivirus, nothing helped. This error used to occur when updating to Windows 11. Is it worth reinstalling the system or is it better to buy a new hard drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Could you please give me some advice? Disc C is clogged when starting games, after quitting the game the memory returns. What could be causing this? I have tried reinstalling Vindows, antivirus, nothing helped. This error used to occur when updating to Windows 11. Is it worth reinstalling the system or is it better to buy a new hard drive?
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.

Yours is not the same.

Jul 10, 2024
OK, thanks. will start the process now.
I tried but did not succeed. The cloning worked but now the new drive shows exactly the same capacity as the original C: drive. I reinstalled the original C, so i now have C & D (which was E, the SSD). I used Macrium but could not find where I could delete partitions.
Should I sue the Samsung program? Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
I tried but did not succeed. The cloning worked but now the new drive shows exactly the same capacity as the original C: drive. I reinstalled the original C, so i now have C & D (which was E, the SSD). I used Macrium but could not find where I could delete partitions.
Should I sue the Samsung program? Thanks.
The middle part of the above steps outlines where you can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target drive.

But you can try again with the Samsung Magician. It does that automagically.

Jul 10, 2024
The middle part of the above steps outlines where you can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target drive.

Do I need to clean the new drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Unfortunately, it's telling me the WD is not supported so i cannot do a data migration. I guess I'll try Macrium again unless there is a 3rd option.
Cloning TO a Samsung drive should work. The FROM should not matter.

But, go back to Macrium.

From the above steps:
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing