Question Windows Ethernet speed is capped at 100mbps

Jul 10, 2024
Hello, I've been trying multiple things, but my link speed still says 100/100 Mbps. I've tried changing the speed and duplex to 1.0 Gbps full-duplex, but nothing changed. I tried reinstalling the drives, changing cables to one that had a confirmed gigabit connection, and disabling power-saving functions, but there is nothing that is changing the speed to gigabit speed. All my cables are CAT6, and I tested the speed on a Debian server, and my speeds were far above 100mbps except on my Windows laptop.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I've been trying multiple things, but my link speed still says 100/100 Mbps. I've tried changing the speed and duplex to 1.0 Gbps full-duplex, but nothing changed. I tried reinstalling the drives, changing cables to one that had a confirmed gigabit connection, and disabling power-saving functions, but there is nothing that is changing the speed to gigabit speed. All my cables are CAT6, and I tested the speed on a Debian server, and my speeds were far above 100mbps except on my Windows laptop.
Link to this "Cat6" cable?

Jul 10, 2024
Windows Laptop: specs?

On the laptop run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Extutionaire
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A4-F9-33-EA-2A-5E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A4-F9-33-EA-2A-5F

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A6-F9-33-EA-2A-5E

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-BF-B8-2D-F6-43
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:6c44:7d3f:4324::1cb4(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 10, 2024 7:05:12 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 17, 2024 6:59:22 PM
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:6c44:7d3f:4324:f9ad:2fc6:df06:dea(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2600:6c44:7d3f:4324:fc8b:475b:55a5:5213(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::96af:819e:20e6:f37c%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.182(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 10, 2024 7:05:11 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 11, 2024 7:07:14 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a255:1fff:fe28:29fe%13
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218677176
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2B-D7-13-E7-08-BF-B8-2D-F6-43
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:6c44:7d3f:4324::1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
lan

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A4-F9-33-EA-2A-62

Jul 10, 2024
What switch/router the laptop connected to?

Run Realtek Diagnostics Tools

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAPEMCKWCRg
I tried connecting it directly to the router, and it didn't work. My router is the Spectrum 6e wifi router, which can give out gigabit ethernet. My switch is the Cisco Merak MS42P, which I know can give out gigabit ethernet, so I'm not sure why my laptop is doing this. Everything is up to date.

I doubt you are going to see any difference but since you talk about a debian server it likely would be trivial for you to try a USB linux boot image. This would eliminate all OS and driver issues.

Although I doubt it check the bios if there is some so called "green" power setting or maybe a setting to limit the ethernet speed.

This is mostly grasping at straws and hoping to get lucky.

There really are 3 main things that can cause a port to negotiate 100mbps rather than 1gbit. The port on the pc, the port on the switch/router, the cable. The cable being the cause likely 99% of the time. You have pretty much eliminated the router port and the cable which leave the port in the machine.

The speed the port runs is negotiated at a hardware level. It is done with things like voltage levels on certain pins. It isn't truly what people think of as software. The function is built into the interface chips on manufacture. So if it does not negotiate the correct speed it tends to be some type of hardware issue that can not really be fixed.

If this was a desktop you toss in a PCIE ethernet card for $25 and continue on with a laptop you could look at USB3 ethenet port but you then have another thing you have to carry around.

I would still buy a new cable since it is very cheap and maybe you get lucky. Massive amounts of fake cable sold.

You only need cat5e and a larger number makes no difference but if cat6 is cheaper then that is fine. Key though is the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

Jul 10, 2024
I doubt you are going to see any difference but since you talk about a debian server it likely would be trivial for you to try a USB linux boot image. This would eliminate all OS and driver issues.

Although I doubt it check the bios if there is some so called "green" power setting or maybe a setting to limit the ethernet speed.

There really are 3 main things that can cause a port to negotiate 100mbps rather than 1gbit. The port on the pc, the port on the switch/router, the cable. The cable being the cause likely 99% of the time. You have pretty much eliminated the router port and the cable which leave the port in the machine.

The speed the port runs is negotiated at a hardware level. It is done with things like voltage levels on certain pins. It isn't truly what people think of as software. The function is built into the interface chips on manufacture. So if it does not negotiate the correct speed it tends to be some type of hardware issue that can not really be fixed.

If this was a desktop you toss in a PCIE ethernet card for $25 and continue on with a laptop you could look at USB3 ethenet port but you then have another thing you have to carry around.

I would still buy a new cable since it is very cheap and maybe you get lucky. Massive amounts of fake cable sold.

You only need cat5e and a larger number makes no difference but if cat6 is cheaper then that is fine. Key though is the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).
ill try a linux distro real quick to see if its not the port and if it isnt the port then its just the os since I know and have checked that the cable,router and switch arent causing it.

Jul 10, 2024

from my testing i do believe it is port on my computer on debain it does run a little faster but still below 100mbps so I plan on getting a usb ethernet port

The magic number you see when a port is running at 100mbps is about 94mbps. The exact value depends on the packet length but it is caused by the overhead the mac addresses take up in the packets. Generally it is safer to just see what it negotiated at but I do not remember the linux command....I do know it is almost impossible to get the speed from a command prompt in windows without some crazy stuff.

Make sure you get USB3 and plug it into a USB3 port. There is a bit more overhead so there are cases if you max the cpu you might get tiny amounts of data loss.

Ralston18

Titan
Powershell can be used to obtain network information:

Reference:

https://www.techtarget.com/searchnetworking/tip/PowerShell-commands-for-network-troubleshooting

You can easily find other similar links.

E.g.:

https://superuser.com/questions/412...gigabit-ethernet-of-a-network-connection-over

Use "Get" cmdlets to learn about the current configuration.

And it may be necessary to use scripts to drill down to specific details.

For the most part there is no need to blur out Private IP addresses - those addresses are used by thousands of systems. Likewise for MACs.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-public-ip-address-2625974