Question Windows failed to start?

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
OK, older build with win 7. Had a failure to load win 7 a week back out of the blue. Loaded safe mode w/o issue. Restarted and win7 booted up OK. Used a few more times i.e. on/off over a couple days with no overt issues. Then moved to a new house. Computer tower went in the car. Finally hooked everything up and it fails to load win 7. Goes to another screen where it says "Windows failed to start" where it says you can repair with the win7 repair disc. Tried the disc and rebooted. For whatever reason, the disc won't load. Tried an old ERD disc. THAT will load and shows SSD that win7 is on shows everything being on the SSD.

Resorted to buying an old laptop to hopefully help out. It also has win7 ultimate. Used it to make another rescue disc. Computer still wouldn't load it (boot order is obviously seeing it as it loaded ERD from a DVD).

Put the SSD from the computer, into the laptop. It auto-ran chkdsk and seemingly fixed a few things and went a little further with the win7 splash screen then griped about no video driver (think the laptop has an integrated intel video driver). Tried it BACK in the PC and same thing as before.

So I'm trying to figure out a way to verify if the computer's ssd is still good or not, AND trying to figure out if there's a hardware failure on the PC? PC is old (still running an 8350) but worked fine for what I used it for. Would help to know in advance what might be bad and what's not. Also, is there anyway to load the win7 from the ssd on the laptop? If I get a SATA to usb cable, would it be possible to put a driver into it and tweak it's registry with ERD?

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Anyone? Screen that appears is Windows Boot Manager. Error code is 0xc0000001

Most frustrating is both repair discs are failing to load and getting skipped over even though dvd drive is 1st in boot order. Need a way to determine if it's actually the win7 OS on the older PC having a corrupt file or if I'm dealing with a hardware error that only affects win7 loading atm.

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
After some experimenting with both repair discs on the laptop to verify they were working, looks like I can use a SATA to usb cable to connect the PC's SSD to the laptop. Boot the win7 repair disc FROM the laptop, then select the PC's SSD Win7 installation assuming it even sees one at this point. Might have hardware issues on the PC, as it's not giving the "Press any button to load the repair disc" message and pressing buttons anyways doesn't load the disc. Strange that ERD would still load regardless, but I only use ERD for extremely tough to remove garbage if it ever appears and it's age plus usefulness is very limited.

Have to wait for the SATA to usb cable to arrive, so no further updates available.

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Realizing the laptop could boot the repair disc w/o the SSD actually needing to boot beyond the welcome splash screen, tried running the start up repair and even manually fixing the boot files via command prompt. If the SSD stays in the laptop, it'll load until the welcome screen then blue screen after a few seconds and gripe about not having the laptop's video driver. If I put the SSD back into the PC, I instead get the boot error screen requesting the repair disc, immediately, once it hits the welcome screen, and it fails to put up the "Press any button to load from disc" message altogether. Gonna just call it and say there's probably a hardware failure in the mobo or elsewhere. Tried other sata ports, cables, etc.. Probably time for an upgrade anyways....