[SOLVED] windows Fast startup conflicting with bios setting?

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Did a clean format so I'm sorta starting from scratch again, going thru options and I found this under the Power section:

hUpqIru.png

But in my bios I have fast bootup disabled, are there any conflicts that would cause issues if I just left it at default, or should I disable it here as well?

Solution
After a clean boot, all the components of windows are loaded into ram.
This takes a bit of time.
What fast startup does is to copy the contents of the nucleus to a drive after a successful boot.
When you restart or reboot, it simply copies that image into ram which is a faster process.

The default looks ok to me.
But, I have a suggestion:
Instead of shutting down your pc when done, use sleep to ram (no hibernate)instead.
That puts your pc and monitor into a very low power state, not very different from a full power off.
The sleep/wake process is very quick, only a matter of a few seconds.
What fast startup does is to copy the contents of the nucleus to a drive after a successful boot.
When you restart or reboot, it simply copies that image into ram which is a faster process.

Instead of shutting down your pc when done, use sleep to ram (no hibernate)instead.
That puts your pc and monitor into a very low power state, not very different from a full power off.

Solution

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019

I don't remember if it was sleep or hibernate, but sometimes if I was doing either a/v editing or playing a game, and stepped away for a bit, but longer than i planned, and came back, moved the mouse, and there were times when it would freeze up my computer so i'd have to restart...

Windows Fast Startup and your bios fast boot will work together just fine. The BIOS fast boot expedites the POSTing while fast startup keeps your systems files in RAM so they don't have to load from the hard drive when booting, so it is unlikely either are causing your freeze issues.

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Windows Fast Startup and your bios fast boot will work together just fine. The BIOS fast boot expedites the POSTing while fast startup keeps your systems files in RAM so they don't have to load from the hard drive when booting, so it is unlikely either are causing your freeze issues.

nono, the freezing and the the fast startup are 2 seperate issues.

For the startup issue, i keep the bios setting disable for quick boot, but I ran into that power option that defaults on fast startup. Although now that you mention it, if the fast startup default option keeps my system files in the RAM, but I have it set in bios not to warm boot ram, and to enable memory clear, that sounds like a confliction unless one overrides the other?

The freezing issue was when my computer would either hibernate or sleep, don't remmeber which, and sometimes if certain programs were running at the time of being put to sleep, wwhen I tried waking it back up, it never would, the screen would just stay black and the power light wouldn't click over to blue. So I usually never use hibernate or sleep, altho i have a feeling it was hibernate that did it. Plus I don't like the huge hiberfil.sys file sizes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
they aren't the same function. - they aren't even linked.

Bios one just speeds up startup by not checking ram (some bios have super fast startup that also ignores other checks at startup)
Windows one just keeps windows asleep when you shut PC off. Powered on. it doesn't power PC off when you shut it down so I am not sure it goes through a full post on restart since ram is already powered on.

What are the specs of the PC? if you have an ssd you don't need fast startup to be turned on in win 10 as it only really speeds up HDD. I always have it off.

If you have problems with sleep/hibernate, its likely caused by older drivers that aren't written for the new win 10 power modes.

GWARslave119

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
they aren't the same function. - they aren't even linked.

Bios one just speeds up startup by not checking ram (some bios have super fast startup that also ignores other checks at startup)
Windows one just keeps windows asleep when you shut PC off. Powered on. it doesn't power PC off when you shut it down so I am not sure it goes through a full post on restart since ram is already powered on.

What are the specs of the PC? if you have an ssd you don't need fast startup to be turned on in win 10 as it only really speeds up HDD. I always have it off.

If you have problems with sleep/hibernate, its likely caused by older drivers that aren't written for the new win 10 power modes.

sbDjVr7.png

and yeah I don't want fast startups I just didn't know that option existed inside windows settings...I don't like how so many things slip in unnoticed in windows updates over the years...

Colif

Win 11 Master
A form of Fast Startup has been in Windows since Win 8 so unless you like me, and skipped Win 8, you would have known about it since 2003. As it stands, its been in win 10 since it was created.

I have it off as it means if I need to unplug PC, I stand less chance of corrupting windows when I do so.