Windows File Discreetly Stores Touch Devices' Sensitive Text

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Do you have to disable the whole service or is turning off "improve recognition by sending data to Microsoft" enough?

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Just stopping the service won't be enough. If you do that, it will come back on the next reboot. You have to right-click, go to properties, and set startup type to disabled.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Just stopping the service won't be enough. If you do that, it will come back on the next reboot. You have to right-click, go to properties, and set startup type to disabled.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This is less a Microsoft problem and more a "Application Developer!" problem. Why? Because no application developer who cared about security would ever save passwords in a plaintext file.

Why is it even storing the text of documents anyway? Shouldn't it be using an image/vector database and focusing on individual letters, letter pairings, triplets, etc? Even if it needs an actual word database for comparisons, it would just need the words themselves, aka a dictionary. Not those words in order. Unless it's trying to predict the actual phrasings you would use, which goes way beyond handwriting recognition. Even then, there's no conceivable reason to include document metadata unless you're writing out file headers and footers by hand...

Michael Piazza

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
I have a Dell touchscreen laptop and I did expect to find this file but I didn't even find the TextHarvester directory. Is there some trigger responsible for creating that directory and file? I don't use the touchscreen for much, yet.