Question Windows File Explorer crashes whenever I right-click on an ISO file ?

Feb 7, 2024
Hi everyone, so I've been having this issue with File Explorer recently, whenever I right-click on any kind of .iso file, my Inter Explorer crashes. My Windows is fully updated, yet I don't know how or what I can do to fix this infuriating issue. Could it be an Antivirus program? I run Norton 360 and Hitmanpro. I'm not willing to go nuclear and reinstall Windows, but this issue has been bugging me for a bit now. Thanks.

Hi everyone, so I've been having this issue with File Explorer recently, whenever I right-click on any kind of .iso file, my Inter Explorer crashes. My Windows is fully updated, yet I don't know how or what I can do to fix this infuriating issue. Could it be an Antivirus program? I run Norton 360 and Hitmanpro. I'm not willing to go nuclear and reinstall Windows, but this issue has been bugging me for a bit now. Thanks.
Try this: click on Settings, Apps, Default Apps and scroll down to the Choose defaults by file type option. Then search for the .iso file type and see if there's any app listed there as the default. Change or delete if necessary.

Feb 7, 2024
Try this: click on Settings, Apps, Default Apps and scroll down to the Choose defaults by file type option. Then search for the .iso file type and see if there's any app listed there as the default. Change or delete if necessary.
Tried, restarted, and still didn't work :( It was however set to Nero Express which I changed but Explorer still crashed, refreshing the desktop

Feb 7, 2024
Please send here the output of the following command:
Code:
reg query HKCR\.iso /s
oops, didn't reply to your message

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso
(Default) REG_SZ Nero.Express.2021.iso.2

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\OpenWithProgids
ImgBurn.AssocFile.iso REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\shell\open.ImgBurn
(Default) REG_SZ Burn using ImgBurn

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\shell\open.ImgBurn\command
(Default) REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /MODE WRITE /SOURCE "%1"

May 7, 2024
oops, didn't reply to your message

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso
(Default) REG_SZ Nero.Express.2021.iso.2

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\OpenWithProgids
ImgBurn.AssocFile.iso REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\shell\open.ImgBurn
(Default) REG_SZ Burn using ImgBurn

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\shell\open.ImgBurn\command
(Default) REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /MODE WRITE /SOURCE "%1"
Download this registry file to your desktop which contains the default values for the key. Open an elevated command window, navigate to your desktop folder, and run the following commands:

Code:
reg export HKCR\.iso restore_hkcr_iso.reg
reg delete HKCR\.iso /f
reg import hkcr_iso_default.reg

If there are any issues, the original data can be restored from restore_hkcr_iso.reg. Note that this will cause you to be unable to use ImgBurn via the context menu, though this is ideally so we can verify the issue before uninstalling/reinstalling it and perhaps Nero Express. Once we're done you can remove those .reg files from your desktop.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024
Download this registry file to your desktop which contains the default values for the key. Open an elevated command window, navigate to your desktop folder, and run the following commands:

Code:
reg export HKCR\.iso restore_hkcr_iso.reg
reg delete HKCR\.iso /f
reg import hkcr_iso_default.reg

If there are any issues, the original data can be restored from restore_hkcr_iso.reg. Note that this will cause you to be unable to use ImgBurn via the context menu, though this is ideally so we can verify the issue before uninstalling/reinstalling it and perhaps Nero Express. Once we're done you can remove those .reg files from your desktop.
Sorry for the delayed response!
I've found the issue! So apparently not too long ago, I installed WSEDisc Image or whatever it was called, and I just uninstalled it, fixing the issue! Thanks though for helping me!