Windows File History database error (possibly relating to Windows Search indexing)

Dr Doakes

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
I recently wiped my main SSD for a fresh install of Windows 10 pro x64. I had used file history to back up all my valuables on a separate internal HDD. When I go to Windows File History to restore my backup, I get the following error:
"Could not reassociate with File History data, The replication operation encountered a database error."

I tried to create a brand new file history on multiple other drives, including a flash drive, just to make sure it wasn't a problem related to a specific drive, and on each one (internal or external) I get the following when attempting to turn on file history:
"Could not enable File History, The replication operation encountered a database error."

After some google searching I found that File History is tied to the 'Windows Search' service located in Services.msc. Mine is currently set to Automatic startup but the service status always reads "Stopped", even after a reboot. When I attempt to start it I get the following:
"Error 15: The system cannot find the drive specified"

I also read that file indexing could possibly be related to the problem. For some reason indexing is not enabled on my computer, and when I try to rebuild the index (Indexing Options>Advanced>Rebuild) nothing happens. Even after sitting for over an hour the computer is quiet and no information related to an indexing operation pops up anywhere.

Does anyone know if these problems are related? I have a terrible feeling that this is some bizarro registry problem and I have no idea what to do next. Im afraid that I might have to do another clean install including wiping and reformatting all drives for consistency, but I cant commit to that until I can get my File History settings someplace safe that I know windows will be able to recover them from. So far every drive I have tried is giving me the same errors.

Windows 10 x64 i5 3570k 8gb RAM
DXDIAG:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yj2slems373681h/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Lutfij

Titan
1| Your link doesn't work for me - 404's
2| You don't need to wipe all your drives/partitions, only need to do so on the drive on which you've installed your OS on.
3| Looks like the installation was corrupted - have you also tried a sfc / scannow?
4| Regarding the management of your important files+documents, it can be performed by third party software's like EaseUS todo backup utility which is free or you can do so manually albeit the programs will require manual (re)installation.

This time around make sure that any BIOS updates available for your motherboard are installed prior to doing your driver installations+if you own an Nvidia GPU then that you have version 359.06 to go alongside it. If the drivers for your motherboard aren't available but have Windows 7/8/8.1 versions then you can install them under compatibility mode.

To rule out the installer being corrupted somewhere down the road, try and create a new bootable USB installer.

TRENDING THREADS